Who has Sling TV?

SamSpade

Persuade me it is worth it.
I am currently shelling out for Hulu Plus, and I am really doubting I will keep it. The original programming isn't worth it, and the reruns aren't particularly any more useful than just picking them up on individual streaming channels (e.g. I can get reruns on On Demand and also through streaming the channels themselves on Roku).

I am still paying for CBS All Access, but *really* just in anticipation of the new Star Trek show. If it sucks, I will probably cancel.

I have *heard* - that Sling is worth it for sports coverage I might otherwise miss with Metrocast.
IF I can watch Ravens games - or Redskins - on weekends there's a TV blackout, that alone is worth the cost.

warneckutz

I am currently shelling out for Hulu Plus, and I am really doubting I will keep it. The original programming isn't worth it, and the reruns aren't particularly any more useful than just picking them up on individual streaming channels (e.g. I can get reruns on On Demand and also through streaming the channels themselves on Roku).

I am still paying for CBS All Access, but *really* just in anticipation of the new Star Trek show. If it sucks, I will probably cancel.

I have *heard* - that Sling is worth it for sports coverage I might otherwise miss with Metrocast.
IF I can watch Ravens games - or Redskins - on weekends there's a TV blackout, that alone is worth the cost.

I went from paying $90 with Metrocrap's cable to SlingTV's $25/mo (They have a $40 package for EVERYTHING but I didn't need it).

I have the BLUE package I think and I can see all the games except for ESPN (that's part of the YELLOW package)... I'm up and down about that and I may get the YELLOW package for NFL season.

Oh yeah, you can watch the BIG 3 local channels... Fox, CBS and NBC - I think those are the ones.

Clem72

It isn't.

Just about all of the online cable packages are worthless. Straight back to the bundling model and making everyone pay to subsidize sports packages they don't use (if they want sports and don't want cable, there are plenty of good online options already).

Vue is probably the best option right now. Even the new Hulu cable tv packages suck.

SamSpade

It isn't.

Just about all of the online cable packages are worthless. Straight back to the bundling model and making everyone pay to subsidize sports packages they don't use (if they want sports and don't want cable, there are plenty of good online options already).

Vue is probably the best option right now. Even the new Hulu cable tv packages suck.

On THAT note - Vue seems to be best, but YouTube TV has made it to the DC area.

Can't get it on my Roku yet.

Clem72

On THAT note - Vue seems to be best, but YouTube TV has made it to the DC area.

Can't get it on my Roku yet.

I'm not impressed with what I have seen from YouTube TV so far either. I definitely wouldn't make any big purchase decisions based on a Google product. The only two services they have had long term and haven't abandoned are Search and Gmail.

Clem72

I wouldn't be surprised if both of the two competing TV models (Cable trying to add VOD and go online vs Online VOD trying to add live TV/Sports/Packages) end up losing in favor of the per episode/season format. If I-Tunes/Amazon/Google offered the first couple episodes of a series for free/reduced price/with commercials they could then charge for the rest of the episodes/seasons. Or even a hybrid with the Hulu model. You pay $20/mo and you have access to 20 programs (or however the pricing would shake out). You decide if you want 15 old-run programs like M*A*S*H or Quantum Leap and 5 new to air shows like Game of Thrones or Property Brothers, and you can only change monthly (or restart your month at any time at the normal monthly rate). Sell individual sporting events or seasons separately.

SamSpade

I'm not impressed with what I have seen from YouTube TV so far either. I definitely wouldn't make any big purchase decisions based on a Google product. The only two services they have had long term and haven't abandoned are Search and Gmail.

On the other hand - what I *do* like is, their basic package has *every* channel I am likely to want.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Sling is worth it to me because I watch many of the channels they offer. HGTV, AMC, FX, History, SyFy, and Travel. I don't really care about the sports. Of all the internet based apps that we have, I use Sling the most, then Amazon Prime and Netflix. I use Hulu the least.

PeoplesElbow

I have had the blue package for over a year now and couldn't be happier.

I do miss having CBS sometimes and MASN, but it had a bunch of Fox Sports channels. I get to watch a lot of college football on it. That extra $100/month in my pocket instead of Metrocasts goes a long way towards other entertainment.

Give the 7 day free trial a whirl, thats what I did to see if I could live with it.

They seem to add a new channel every few months FWIW.

BBC America plays a lot of the Star Trek shows on the weekend if you are into that.