Can I *BUY* a propane tank (instead of renting)?

PeoplesElbow

How big?

If I remember back in the day I got a quote to buy a big one, I think it was from the place on great mills road.

SamSpade

(shrug) Just got another rental bill from Taylor, and the rental exceeds the amount of propane that I've used in years.
I want to have the fireplace - but I don't need to pay for a huge rental tank.

I'm just wondering if any propane company will fill a tank they don't rent.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
I bought a 100Lb tank from Taylor years ago. have you asked them if they sell tanks anymore ?

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
I've known Bernie for years, I was with United and TIRED of the rental fee as Sam is. I asked Bernie about tanks, He walked me out back and said how about this one. Sold....

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I've known Bernie for years, I was with United and TIRED of the rental fee as Sam is. I asked Bernie about tanks, He walked me out back and said how about this one. Sold....

You could understand him? (j/k)
Good guy.
Taylor Gas has been very good to us.

glhs837

Power with Control
Never met him, although I live on a road that was named for him :) But I know one of the "kids" pretty well and have met a few of the others. When I redo the kitchen and change the range over to propane, I'll use Taylor.

nutz

Does any company just sell it?

Yes, the problem is getting it refilled. A 500 gallon tank would be kinda overkill for just a fireplace. A 100 lb. tank on a very irregular fill schedule, nobody would really want that contract. If only using it for the fireplace, you could use two 20 lb. tanks (BBQ size) and tie together with an automatic regulator. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/propane-auto-changeover-two-stage-regulator/24030
This would last for ~ 50 - 4 hour burns.
Lowe's, Home dumpo, etc. sell up to the 100lb. size. A 100 lb. tank can be carried somewhere and refilled, but obviously tying smaller ones together makes life a little easier.

Clem72

If only using it for the fireplace, you could use two 20 lb. tanks (BBQ size) and tie together with an automatic regulator. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/propane-auto-changeover-two-stage-regulator/24030
This would last for ~ 50 - 4 hour burns.
Lowe's, Home dumpo, etc. sell up to the 100lb. size. A 100 lb. tank can be carried somewhere and refilled, but obviously tying smaller ones together makes life a little easier.

That's a good idea. I have two propane fireplaces that I hardly ever use that I wouldn't mind taking off a refill contract. But would you really get 200 hours from 40 lbs of propane?

nutz

That's a good idea. I have two propane fireplaces that I hardly ever use that I wouldn't mind taking off a refill contract. But would you really get 200 hours from 40 lbs of propane?

That's why the squiggly line, about that but it depends on your burn rate. I was using the assumption that I use mine for mood enhancing purposes and I get 25 per tank.
One gallon of propane is 4.23 lbs. and produces 91,500 BTU's. A 26,000 btu/hr fireplace consumes one gallon every 3.5 hours. A 20 lb. tank holds ~4.7 gallons (not the blue rhino, amerigas, exchange ones). Under ideal conditions, it would be 16.45 hours/tank of continuous full-on burn. But, not everybody burns a fireplace full-on, and not everyone has a 26,000 btu burner hence the squiggly line. The tank designation is the amount of liquid propane they carry.
http://ceekay.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/propane.png

Last edited:
Yes you can buy a tank, but chances are it will come with a standard valve. In order for it to be refilled by a delivery service (ie Taylor) it would have to be retrofitted with a service valve.

I just did this with a 100lb tank. By the time you buy a cheapo tank and get the correct valve added, it's worth the few $ more to buy it from the gas supply place you intend to get refills from. I bought mine from Taylor, it's mine, no rental, and they will fill on demand.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
(shrug) Just got another rental bill from Taylor, and the rental exceeds the amount of propane that I've used in years.
I want to have the fireplace - but I don't need to pay for a huge rental tank.

I'm just wondering if any propane company will fill a tank they don't rent.
Yes they will.. the only tanks they won't fill are ones that have other company's names on them, (rented tanks).

They had an issue at my last house as the tank had the label from another company on it, they (can't remember who they is) refused to fill it. Painted over the label, they came out and filled it without an issue.

Bman

If you purchase the tank the cost per gallon of propane is less than if you rent the tank. We bought our 100lb tank used from Suburban when we first bought our house and I can guarantee that it has paid for itself a few times over between rental fees and lower cost per fill up.