Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fire Stick

Fire Stick

I finally made the plunge to the Firestick. A lot of it is great BUT why when I go to abc.com I have to put in my cable provider to watch anything. Wasn't that the purpose of the Firestick to not have cable? Any answers anyone?

Blog Entries
    The networks don't play nicely with others. Sometimes they'll allow specific programs to stream, but mostly they want to go the way of the dinosaur and not take advantage of technology and modern TV viewing.

Here's a list of what you can watch with Fire Stick:

http://www.frugalrules.com/amazon-fire-tv-stick-review/
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    The networks don't play nicely with others. Sometimes they'll allow specific programs to stream, but mostly they want to go the way of the dinosaur and not take advantage of technology and modern TV viewing.

Here's a list of what you can watch with Fire Stick:

http://www.frugalrules.com/amazon-fire-tv-stick-review/
    Thanks. I looked for that and couldn't find it. I knew with CBS you had to pay. I'm just checking out the stations and I didn't expect this with ABC.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzi View Post
    Thanks. I looked for that and couldn't find it. I knew with CBS you had to pay. I'm just checking out the stations and I didn't expect this with ABC.
    You have to wonder why they have such tunnel vision and don't want to keep up with the times. I think of them and the newspapers and such as dinosaur media. They'll be extinct in about 20 years.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Assume you have internet since you have the fire stick...do a google search on "fire stick kodi"

Quote Originally Posted by MR47930 View Post
    Assume you have internet since you have the fire stick...do a google search on "fire stick kodi"
    Yes, cause piracy rocks. Pay for a service or don't use it.
    "I aim to misbehave."

Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    Yes, cause piracy rocks. Pay for a service or don't use it.
    I'd rather not.

You can't blame Amazon or the stick, it is the content provider that does this, probably with some deal with the cable companies. BUT you would think any network that broadcasts over the air for free wouldn't mind streaming their channel live for free.
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplesElbow View Post
    You can't blame Amazon or the stick, it is the content provider that does this, probably with some deal with the cable companies. BUT you would think any network that broadcasts over the air for free wouldn't mind streaming their channel live for free.
    Seems like that would be a no-brainer. More eyeballs means more add revenue, right? But for whatever reason they tend to fight tooth and nail against any distribution stream but their own.

For what it's worth, using Plex* with your Fire Stick (or Fire TV / Roku / etc.) will let you view the content provided on the CBS/ABC/NBC/etc. web pages for free. In the past that wasn't the best option as the quality was crap, but they are getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by MR47930 View Post
    Can't complain about the movie selection, etc. I am very disappointed with ABC though. I haven't even checked NBC yet, so don't know if that's the same. I mainly watch network shows, so this is disappointing.

Members who have read this thread: 66