Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Atheists suck - says most everyone

Atheists suck - says most everyone

The study measured the attitudes of more than 3,000 people in 13 countries on five continents…

Participants were given a description of a fictional evildoer who tortured animals as a child, then grows up to become a teacher who murders and mutilates five homeless people.

Half of the group were asked how likely it was that the perpetrator was a religious believer, and the other half how likely that he was an atheist.

The team found that people were about twice as likely to assume that the serial killer was an atheist.
    Link
    There are only two possibilities; one is that we are alone in the universe, the other is that we are not.
    Both are terrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by This_person View Post
    I would have said Muslim.

But no mention of the millions and millions that Christians actually have killed in the name of god, Hummmmmmm...
    Proud to be a cereal comma user.

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    But no mention of the millions and millions that Christians actually have killed in the name of god, Hummmmmmm...
    In which century? Certainly not this one or the previous few.

If you're actually interested go to the bottom of the article and click the link.
    There are only two possibilities; one is that we are alone in the universe, the other is that we are not.
    Both are terrifying.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    Not to mention, ahem, other religious groups.

But I guess if you kill on behalf of your deity, that makes it okay.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Blog Entries
    In which century? Certainly not this one or the previous few.
    Southerners who lynched black people just a few short decades ago identified as Christians. The KKK used to be quite adamant that they were doing God's work.

Nothing like trying to troll, then getting trolled yourself, eh?
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    Not to mention, ahem, other religious groups.

But I guess if you kill on behalf of your deity, that makes it okay.
    Well you guys are making a strange comparison. The study was talking about someone who tortured animals then murders homeless people. What you two are talking about is war, terrorism, and retaliation against Islamic extremism (i.e. the inquisition)

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    Southerners who lynched black people just a few short decades ago identified as Christians. The KKK used to be quite adamant that they were doing God's work.

Nothing like trying to troll, then getting trolled yourself, eh?
    Was neither trolling nor getting trolled.

Identifying as Christian and doing something because your religion calls for it are VERY different things. Pretty much the democrats hanging black people were operating well outside the Bible.

I do believe that the KKK said that they were doing God's work. I think they pale in comparison to the deaths caused by atheists who pushed American eugenics and abortion.

Before this blows up into a 'Who's better' argument - it seems to me the study just shows how limited society's perceptions are. It doesn't matter, of course, whether someone is Atheist, Agnostic, deeply religious, or whatever. And it doesn't matter the religion, Christian or non-. The study created a hypothetical scenario. Whatever.

When one person does horrible things, there are too many reasons why to even begin to list. Hypothetically? Someone who tortured and maimed small animals as a child grows up killing a whole lot more than 5 homeless folks. And it has nothing to do with his (or her) religion and everything to do with them being a sociopath.

Looking back through history, large groups who have assaulted, tortured, killed, etc. are professed followers of someone...more often though, that someone is God. They're the ones that suck, as far as I'm concerned for creating an automatic association for many others that God equates to war, terrorism and retaliation. And when once person is responsible for doing the same, or getting others to do it with/for them, it is self-professed to be 'God's work'.

Just for the record, I am a devout Christian. And I have had, and still have, and foresee to keep having friends and associations in my life who are atheist or agnostic that I like a heapin' helluva lot better than some fellow Christians I also know.
    Some folks just need a high-five. Some just need a high-five to the face.

Was neither trolling nor getting trolled.

Identifying as Christian and doing something because your religion calls for it are VERY different things. Pretty much the democrats hanging black people were operating well outside the Bible.

I do believe that the KKK said that they were doing God's work. I think they pale in comparison to the deaths caused by atheists who pushed American eugenics and abortion.

There it is, with you it always abortion...
    Proud to be a cereal comma user.

Members who have read this thread: 71