Atheists suck - says most everyone

This_person

The study measured the attitudes of more than 3,000 people in 13 countries on five continents…

Participants were given a description of a fictional evildoer who tortured animals as a child, then grows up to become a teacher who murders and mutilates five homeless people.

Half of the group were asked how likely it was that the perpetrator was a religious believer, and the other half how likely that he was an atheist.

The team found that people were about twice as likely to assume that the serial killer was an atheist.

Link

black dog

Free America
But no mention of the millions and millions that Christians actually have killed in the name of god, Hummmmmmm...

This_person

But no mention of the millions and millions that Christians actually have killed in the name of god, Hummmmmmm...

In which century? Certainly not this one or the previous few.

If you're actually interested go to the bottom of the article and click the link.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Not to mention, ahem, other religious groups.

But I guess if you kill on behalf of your deity, that makes it okay.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
In which century? Certainly not this one or the previous few.

Southerners who lynched black people just a few short decades ago identified as Christians. The KKK used to be quite adamant that they were doing God's work.

Nothing like trying to troll, then getting trolled yourself, eh?

This_person

Not to mention, ahem, other religious groups.

But I guess if you kill on behalf of your deity, that makes it okay.
Well you guys are making a strange comparison. The study was talking about someone who tortured animals then murders homeless people. What you two are talking about is war, terrorism, and retaliation against Islamic extremism (i.e. the inquisition)

This_person

Southerners who lynched black people just a few short decades ago identified as Christians. The KKK used to be quite adamant that they were doing God's work.

Was neither trolling nor getting trolled.

Identifying as Christian and doing something because your religion calls for it are VERY different things. Pretty much the democrats hanging black people were operating well outside the Bible.

I do believe that the KKK said that they were doing God's work. I think they pale in comparison to the deaths caused by atheists who pushed American eugenics and abortion.

hotbikermama40

Before this blows up into a 'Who's better' argument - it seems to me the study just shows how limited society's perceptions are. It doesn't matter, of course, whether someone is Atheist, Agnostic, deeply religious, or whatever. And it doesn't matter the religion, Christian or non-. The study created a hypothetical scenario. Whatever.

When one person does horrible things, there are too many reasons why to even begin to list. Hypothetically? Someone who tortured and maimed small animals as a child grows up killing a whole lot more than 5 homeless folks. And it has nothing to do with his (or her) religion and everything to do with them being a sociopath.

Looking back through history, large groups who have assaulted, tortured, killed, etc. are professed followers of someone...more often though, that someone is God. They're the ones that suck, as far as I'm concerned for creating an automatic association for many others that God equates to war, terrorism and retaliation. And when once person is responsible for doing the same, or getting others to do it with/for them, it is self-professed to be 'God's work'.

Just for the record, I am a devout Christian. And I have had, and still have, and foresee to keep having friends and associations in my life who are atheist or agnostic that I like a heapin' helluva lot better than some fellow Christians I also know.

black dog

Free America

Identifying as Christian and doing something because your religion calls for it are VERY different things. Pretty much the democrats hanging black people were operating well outside the Bible.

I do believe that the KKK said that they were doing God's work. I think they pale in comparison to the deaths caused by atheists who pushed American eugenics and abortion.

There it is, with you it always abortion...

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

Thousands (tens of thousands) of Christians have gotten abortions.

This_person

Thousands (tens of thousands) of Christians have gotten abortions.

In the name of God?

No. We know more than 95% of abortions are done in the name of convenience for the mother. Her way of life is too important in her opinion to change based on the willful action she took to create a life, so someone must die to keep her life from changing too drastically.

Momma makes THE valid point though. This study was not about what people do, it's about what people think of religious versus atheist.

hotbikermama40

In the name of God?

No. We know more than 95% of abortions are done in the name of convenience for the mother. Her way of life is too important in her opinion to change based on the willful action she took to create a life, so someone must die to keep her life from changing too drastically.

Momma makes THE valid point though. This study was not about what people do, it's about what people think of religious versus atheist.

And I hope I made it clear that so many people jump off and assume that someone who is atheist must be 'bad' while someone who is Christian/religious would be 'good'. Very dangerous assumption. And very hypocritical. The fact is, as worded by Oscar Wilde "every saint has a past and every sinner has a future".

DipStick

Keep Calm and Don't Care!

In before "But they were DemoKKKrats".

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka

I wonder how many African American men were actually lynched back then. If you listen to the BLM and NAACP folks you'd think it was thousands.

This_person

I wonder how many African American men were actually lynched back then. If you listen to the BLM and NAACP folks you'd think it was thousands.

I bet they were almost ALL American. None of them like Obama with one African parent and one American

This_person

And I hope I made it clear that so many people jump off and assume that someone who is atheist must be 'bad' while someone who is Christian/religious would be 'good'. Very dangerous assumption. And very hypocritical. The fact is, as worded by Oscar Wilde "every saint has a past and every sinner has a future".

Other than Jesus, I have never heard of someone without sin.

The difference has never been the ability of the person to be "good". The difference is the standard. A religious person generally has a set, solid, unchanging standard. An atheist, by definition, has no standard stronger than the opinion they hold at any given moment.