Thread: Personalized plates are $50 extra a year?

Personalized plates are $50 extra a year?

Really? Was looking them up, since I figured what I save when I tag the 98 convertible as Historic next January could get me some nice tags for it. This is what it says....

An additional annual fee of fifty dollars ($50.00) is payable with the original and each subsequent renewal application.
    For a two (2) year registration or renewal, the fee is one hundred dollars ($100.00). This additional fee may not be
    prorated. There will be an additional $20.00 fee for substitute special registration plates.

SO, it's $50 extra every single year? What the flying hell is that? I get paying extra for having them made, but paying extra every time you renew? Ah, Maryland, never ceasing to find ways to empty wallets.
    "I aim to misbehave."

I wonder if FMULITMK is available.

Quote Originally Posted by Wishbone View Post
    I wonder if FMULITMK is available.
    Seven letters :)
    "I aim to misbehave."

Mdsxass

Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    Really? Was looking them up, since I figured what I save when I tag the 98 convertible as Historic next January could get me some nice tags for it. This is what it says....

An additional annual fee of fifty dollars ($50.00) is payable with the original and each subsequent renewal application.
    For a two (2) year registration or renewal, the fee is one hundred dollars ($100.00). This additional fee may not be
    prorated. There will be an additional $20.00 fee for substitute special registration plates.

SO, it's $50 extra every single year? What the flying hell is that? I get paying extra for having them made, but paying extra every time you renew? Ah, Maryland, never ceasing to find ways to empty wallets.
    Think it was 3 or 4 years ago that they switched to you pay more at every renewal..Used to be a 1 time fee to get vanity tags, then the renewal stickers were regular price. Makes no sense once you have the physical tag why you have to pay extra for a sticker that is spit out by a computer just like all non-vanity plate stickers. Another one of Owe'Malleys eff the citizen moves.

Lurking in the background in flat, humid Fl
    Specialty plates here in FL - and there is a plethora of them (123 at last count) - are a few bucks extra, but if you want to personalize a plate, say for your favorite NFL team, like I do for the Bucs plate, is an additional $45 per year on top of the specialty plate fee. It is what it is.
    "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress." John Adams

Members who have read this thread: 39