Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: William and Kate- the new King and Queen

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishbone View Post
    I've always been perplexed by the amount of attention and adoration the U.K.'s royalty receive from Americans.
    For the same reason Americans give attention to any celebrity, except that the Royals actually do good works around the world and don't just entertain us.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

I wonder how many more decades the Brits are going to be able to afford their Human Pets.

The upkeep $$ on these folks has got to be incredible.
    Just a few years ago they did an actuarial study on how well the upkeep of the Royals paid off. The tourist industry income only pays for their upkeep. Remember that the Royals own a great deal of real estate in the Empire. There's got to be a lot of income from "share croppers" and others who work the land.
    “In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act” - Geo Orwell

You're kidding, right? They own most of the national parks, monuments, and land. They let the state use them in exchange for some upkeep costs, but most of the money generated (like from tourism at the Tower of London) is returned to the state. The royals make the UK a ton of money, not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurk View Post
    Just a few years ago they did an actuarial study on how well the upkeep of the Royals paid off. The tourist industry income only pays for their upkeep. Remember that the Royals own a great deal of real estate in the Empire. There's got to be a lot of income from "share croppers" and others who work the land.
    They still have land for the Serfs to work?

I would have expected their holdings to be ceremonial use only by now and the properties deeds belonging to the U.K. itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Clem72 View Post
    The royals make the UK a ton of money, not the other way around.
    Yeah... Really don't get the attraction, but then we've got people here following the Kardashians so what the hell.

Blog Entries
    but then we've got people here following the Kardashians so what the hell.
    Exactly.

People cry when some musician or actor I've never heard of dies. Well, I cried at Wills and Kate's wedding. So there.

I also cried when I heard that Diana had been killed, and throughout most of her funeral.
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    Exactly.

People cry when some musician or actor I've never heard of dies. Well, I cried at Wills and Kate's wedding. So there.
    Not judging!

Blog Entries
    I cried when Jim Brown got shot in Dirty Dozen.
    I've seen Million Dollar Baby probably a dozen times and I cry every. single. time.
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Blog Entries
    I wonder how many more decades the Brits are going to be able to afford their Human Pets.

The upkeep $$ on these folks has got to be incredible.
    The official number is that the royals cost Brits 62p per citizen. That's not factoring in any "return on investment" stuff...simply the money for their upkeep that comes from the treasury.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

If having Royalty suits the Brits why should it bother Americans.

They like the costume balls and the play acting involved in the changing over, WTH, let them have their fun.

Their attitude of acceptance of Sharia is a lot more serious than hereditary Royalty.

I've always been perplexed by the amount of attention and adoration the U.K.'s royalty receive from Americans.
    Same here.

That said, I was under the impression that Charles forfeited the throne as soon as he got a divorce. Isn't there some such rule (or whatever guiding influence dictates the behavior of royalty) that a divorcee cannot attain the crown.
    If I had a nickel for every gender, I'd have two nickels.

Members who have read this thread: 78