Free-speech debate swirls as officials block on social media

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — An emerging debate about whether elected officials violate people’s free speech rights by blocking them on social media is spreading across the U.S. as groups sue or warn politicians to stop the practice.

The American Civil Liberties Union this week sued Maine Gov. Paul LePage and sent warning letters to Utah’s congressional delegation. It followed recent lawsuits against the governors of Maryland and Kentucky and President Donald Trump.

Trump’s frequent and often unorthodox use of Twitter and allegations he blocks people with dissenting views has raised questions about what elected officials can and cannot do on their official social media pages.

Politicians at all levels increasingly embrace social media to discuss government business, sometimes at the expense of traditional town halls or in-person meetings.

“People turn to social media because they see their elected officials as being available there and they’re hungry for opportunities to express their opinions and share feedback,” said Anna Thomas, spokeswoman for the ACLU of Utah. “That includes people who disagree with public officials.”

Most of the officials targeted so far — all Republicans — say they are not violating free speech but policing social media pages to get rid of people who post hateful, violent, obscene or abusive messages.

Free-speech debate swirls as officials block on social media

Wishbone

Just curious here, as I do not use twitter, is Trump still using his original Twitter account or a Government/Presidential account or Both?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Just curious here, as I do not use twitter, is Trump still using his original Twitter account or a Government/Presidential account or Both?

as far as I know Trump only tweets from his personal account, and if I had to guess some office drone makes 'official' tweets on the Potus45 twitter account

which is why I DGAF what or who Trump blocks on his personal account or any Gov. Official

as long as its their PERSONAL Account - not the Official Twitter or Facebook account for that Officials Elected Office
I do believe the Gov. has some responsibility to keep the communication Civil and block / delete unruly out of control progbots

ya noticed these are all Republicans being sued for blocking or deleting posts from unhinged Progressives

hotbikermama40

He uses his personal @realDonaldTrump. Like GURPS said, the @POTUS45 OR @POTUS (can't remember which one is the official one) is used by a staffer

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Government officials are under no obligation to listen to your endless criticisms and nasty remarks, not to mention your trolling. If you are abusive to them on social media, of course they have the right to block you.

The officials "targeted" are of course all Republicans. That's because the Left cannot express itself without profanity, abuse, wild accusations, and death threats. Trump is not blocking "dissenting views", he is blocking the abusive crazy people who have nothing productive or intelligent to say (yes, Chrissy Tiegen, I'm talking to you). These people and their "free speech" - they think it means they can disrupt, abuse, and threaten and nobody can stop them, which just goes to show how far astray their handlers and brainwashers have led them.

If the Right did the same thing, they would have a #### fit and run screaming to their safe space. They cannot even tolerate the mere hint of a dissenting viewpoint, yet they "think" they can act out anywhere they please and everyone just has to listen to it.

:crazy: