Disney Prepares to Boycott Georgia To Punish Them For Supporting Religious Americans

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The Walt Disney Co. and Marvel Studios are fulminating that they will boycott doing business in the state of Georgia because of a Georgia religious liberty bill that is waiting for the governor to sign it. The bill would allow people of faith to refuse to perform same-sex marriages, as well as allow people of faith to have their religious freedom respected. Governor Nathan Deal has until May 3 to sign the bill into law.

A summary of the bill in question, The Free Exercise Protection Act, states:

A BILL to be entitled an Act to protect religious freedoms; to amend Chapter 3 of Title 19 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to marriage generally, so as to provide that religious officials shall not be required to perform marriage ceremonies in violation of their legal right to free exercise of religion; to amend Chapter 1 of Title 10 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to selling and other trade practices, so as to change certain provisions relating to days of rest for employees of business and industry; to protect property owners which are religious institutions against infringement of religious freedom; to define a term; to provide an effective date; to repeal conflicting laws; and for other purposes.

Disney Prepares to Boycott Georgia To Punish Them For Supporting Religious Americans

Clem72

Not looking for actual links here, just a general question. I have heard lots about private shops refusing to sell things (cakes for instance) or public officials refusing to issue certificates, etc. But I don't think I have ever heard of someone being forced to perform a marriage. Maybe being forced to allow the use of their venue? But actually forced to officiate the ceremony? Or is this a pre-emptive law?

Clem72

Thank GOD I don't have any Disney stock in my portfolio.

Might be a good time to buy. The Netflix/Streaming news will likely impact their stock, despite the fact that the revenue from Netflix is hardly a blip on their radar while the potential (admittedly very longshot potential) upside to having their own streaming services for Disney content and Sports could be much more significant given their proven audience.

This Georgia boycott will fizzle very quickly regardless of what happens with the law (likely just smokescreen/PR to offset the Netflix news).

They are down a couple percent over the last few days, and 15 percent since April. The only reason I don't pull the trigger is that they are riding a temporary (long, but temporary) wave from the string of successful marvel movies that will likely peter out in the next several years.

Just looked at their stock history a bit, and holy heck an investment in or before 1986 would have paid off stupidly. The stock was $2/share and went through a two 4:1 and one 3:1 split and maintained a ~2% dividend. So $1000 in 1986 would be worth nearly $5.5M today.

Last edited:

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Who gives a crap about disney? They degraded my birth month by making it homosexual pride month. Even Mickey's Clubhouse cartoon flys the homosexual flag/rainbow in many of their episodes, knowing exactly what they agenda they are pushing. Fortunately, the young grandkids that watch it just see it as colors, and this Christian pop pop will do his best to teach them what is required to be represented by it.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
But actually forced to officiate the ceremony? Or is this a pre-emptive law?

not yet, but its coming ....

.... one day a church is going to be asked to preform a gay wedding in one of these ultra liberal states like Oregon
they will of course refuse, and they will be sued, and have criminal charges of discrimination filed

I posted recently some queer has already sunk 400 million a campaign against 'religious discrimination' against gays - he latest is to promise to start suing churches that refuse to marry gays

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Tech Tycoon Wants to Punish ‘Wicked’ Foes of LGBT Activism

Tim Gill created the Gill Foundation with a $300 million endowment to promote LGBT legislation. The foundation, based in Denver, has worked against religious freedom measures since 1994.

“It’s the religious right that decided to make marriage an issue. They worked tirelessly on it for decades, and they lost,” Gill said in a recent interview in Rolling Stone magazine.

After the 2015 Supreme Court case Obergefell v. Hodges, which legalized same-sex marriage in all 50 states, Gill focused on defeating religious liberty legislation.

Recently, he fought against the proposed Religious Freedom Restoration Act, or RFRA, in Georgia.

The measure would have prevented the government from intervention in religious practice without a compelling governmental interest.

To defeat the legislation, Gill founded Georgia Prospers, which orchestrated protests in the state. Georgia Prospers also drafted an opposition petition for major Georgia businesses, such as Coca-Cola, to protest the RFRA.

Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal, a Republican, ultimately vetoed the bill.