Police serve warrant at wrong house, kill homeowner

Chris0nllyn

Police were at the wrong address when they fatally shot a man in his Southaven home Sunday, an arrest warrant issued by a Tate County judge shows.

Ismael Lopez was shot dead by a Southaven police officer while standing in the doorway of his home on Surrey Lane around 11:30 p.m. Sunday.
http://wreg.com/2017/07/25/warrant-shows-police-at-wrong-address-in-deadly-southaven-shooting/

Attorneys for the family said they were able to view Lopez’s body at the coroner’s office and discovered he had been shot once in the back of the head.

Investigators told a different story, saying the suspect had a gun and they told him to drop if before opening fire. A gun was recovered at the house. Lopez’s wife said her husband didn’t have a gun in his hands.
http://wreg.com/2017/07/28/southaven-mayor-releases-statement-on-deadly-officer-involved-shooting/

The death certificate for a man shot in his home by police last month confirms he died of a gunshot wound to the head from a 9 mm handgun.
http://wreg.com/2017/08/04/death-certificate-shows-southaven-man-killed-by-police-bullet-to-head/

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There is some dispute as to whether or not Mr. Lopez had a gun pointed at the officers. HOWEVER, it is reasonable to believe that Mr. Lopez heard someone coming through his door and retrieved his gun for protection. It is also reasonable for the dog to charge, protecting his home.

Not looking good for the cops, no matter what they try and come up with.

Clem72

There is some dispute as to whether or not Mr. Lopez had a gun pointed at the officers. HOWEVER, it is reasonable to believe that Mr. Lopez heard someone coming through his door and retrieved his gun for protection. It is also reasonable for the dog to charge, protecting his home.

Not looking good for the cops, no matter what they try and come up with.

I know whenever I threaten cops with a gun I make sure to turn around so I can't see what they are doing and give them a clear shot at the back of my head.

Bushy23

It's pretty simple. If he was brown skinned, he should have just complied with the officers. If he was white, he should have stood his ground and the cops are at fault.

Hijinx

It's pretty simple. If he was brown skinned, he should have just complied with the officers. If he was white, he should have stood his ground and the cops are at fault.

A man has every right to his gun in his own domain.
Police work is dangerous, but for Christs sake make sure you are at the right house.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Oh sure, happens all the time.

Here's the kicker: "Investigators told a different story, saying the suspect had a gun and they told him to drop if before opening fire. A gun was recovered at the house." Not that a gun was recovered next to the body, or under the body, or near the body. But in the house. They are trying all sort of word subterfuge to get out of this one. And I wonder. Do these thugs in costumes have body cameras? And if they did, were they on?

littlelady

God bless the USA
Wow. Scary stuff. I just don't answer the door. I don't care who it is...the postal worker, UPS, FedEx, etc. when I am alone. I wouldn't even open the door to a cop. I am not obligated to do that. My choice. I do have to say I love our UPS driver; he always leaves a biscuit for Daisy. :huggy:

So sorry for the death of this man. I hope the investigation ends truthful, and all.