Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Going ape in Charlottesville

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    What I find interesting is that only one Group had a permit to protest, Why weren't the police there in the middle protecting the Group that legally had the Right to Protest?
    The conspiracy side of me tells me that McAuliffe ordered the police to back off and let it play out. He was damn determined to not let these 'fascists' have their say in peace. And, that is a more relevant point about this... all the 'White Nationalists' wanted to do was protest the removal of a statue. I don't get that they want to incite violence. I'm sure they want to antagonize folks, but if they had been left alone we'd likely be having a completely different conversation about this.
    "Never let the old man in." - Clint Eastwood quoting an old friend

Report I heard said only about 200?.. there to protest the removal of statue.
    Last edited by Homesick; 08-13-2017 at 12:05 PM.

And there were probably 10 times that number of left-wing anarchists there to start the violence.

Quote Originally Posted by PsyOps View Post
    The conspiracy side of me tells me that McAuliffe ordered the police to back off and let it play out. He was damn determined to not let these 'fascists' have their say in peace. And, that is a more relevant point about this... all the 'White Nationalists' wanted to do was protest the removal of a statue. I don't get that they want to incite violence. I'm sure they want to antagonize folks, but if they had been left alone we'd likely be having a completely different conversation about this.
    That would support what the Governor stated on tv this morning, That he has no place in Va for White Nationalists.
    I guess we are only a melting pot,,,,, If they want you in the pot..
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    I asked someone on FB what Trump had to do with it, and was met with a barrage of obscenities and insults. So they apparently don't know, either.
    I've pissed off a ton of liberal snowflakes and progbots on FB the last couple of days.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

What I find interesting is that only one Group had a permit to protest, Why weren't the police there in the middle protecting the Group that legally had the Right to Protest?
    Exactly. Why not indeed?
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Wishbone View Post
    Quite possibly, however it very clearly shows what they are there to do. Perhaps just a bullet to the back of the head of every mask wearing dirtbag as soon as the #### starts.
    As I said, I generally agree with the sentiment. The constitution says 'peacably to assemble'. Anyone with clubs, shields, masks, helmets or offensively carried firearms is not covered by that right. While I wouldn't want to shoot them outright, presence of those items should give the police the right to detain the person and remove them from the political protest or assembly. As in most political riots, the majority of the folks present are nonviolent and just there to make their point known. There were unarmed nazis in charlottesville and as much as I despise them, if they want to play dressup and walk around giving each other the hitler salute, that is their right to do. Same on the 'counter protest' side. The pastors, liberals and hippies that wanted to register their disagreement with the nazi assembly had every right to be there, sing, chant, pray etc. The violent antifa and violent BLM were mixed in with the counterprotesters and they obviously were looking for a fight. Remove the violent actors, you can remove the violence. All the footage I have seen so far indicates that Charlottesville police and VSP were under orders not to interfere with the mayhem. It was politically expedient to have this violence at this time so both the mayor and the dem governor stood back and let the nazis and antifas bust each others skulls.

That would support what the Governor stated on tv this morning, That he has no place in Va for White Nationalists.
    I guess we are only a melting pot,,,,, If they want you in the pot..
    http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...ondemn-antifa/

Both the nazis and the counter-protesters had permits. The judge in the federal lawsuit that reinstated the nazis permit on friday used the fact that the counterprotesters were issued permits for Lee square as one of the indicators that the city had withdrawn the nazis permit due to the content of his speech and not for administrative or technical reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken King View Post
    Seems there is - http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/t...ction18.2-422/ - now has it been overturned, I don't know.
    Well, looks like Charlottesville PD and VSP failed to enforce that law.

Members who have read this thread: 100