Got Heart Transplant Update: Good News!

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Just had another visit with the cardiologist from the heart transplant team. He has officially put the transplant on the shelf for now, and wants to see me again in one year for another full cardio pulmonary stress test. I had one of those last week, and he was very pleased with the results. The newest medication I have been taking since April - Entresto - appears to be doing what Europe has been experiencing for the last 12 years or so, and finally in the US in the last year - prolonging heart life without apparently causing damage to the heart muscle. The USDA really dragged their feet on this drug, and cardiologists over the country are glad to finally be able to utilize it here.

My heart is still weak (only putting out about 25% of a normal healthy heart output), but it has stabilized and not getting any weaker. So continue with the same medications, and see how it goes.

I'm really, really down and happy with these results, and I hope it continues. For me, trading quality of life with quantity (maybe longer with a transplant), has always been my priority, and the teams as well. If I can avoid any kind of invasive surgery, I will.

Thanks for the prayers and thoughts, ya'll, and I'll keep updating on my situation. Up to SC next week for the eclipse.

luvmygdaughters

Just had another visit with the cardiologist from the heart transplant team. He has officially put the transplant on the shelf for now, and wants to see me again in one year for another full cardio pulmonary stress test. I had one of those last week, and he was very pleased with the results. The newest medication I have been taking since April - Entresto - appears to be doing what Europe has been experiencing for the last 12 years or so, and finally in the US in the last year - prolonging heart life without apparently causing damage to the heart muscle. The USDA really dragged their feet on this drug, and cardiologists over the country are glad to finally be able to utilize it here.

My heart is still weak (only putting out about 25% of a normal healthy heart output), but it has stabilized and not getting any weaker. So continue with the same medications, and see how it goes.

I'm really, really down and happy with these results, and I hope it continues. For me, trading quality of life with quantity (maybe longer with a transplant), has always been my priority, and the teams as well. If I can avoid any kind of invasive surgery, I will.

Thanks for the prayers and thoughts, ya'll, and I'll keep updating on my situation. Up to SC next week for the eclipse.

:clap: Great News!!! Best wishes on your continued success with the new medication!!

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Fantastic news. Got to be a huge relief, eh?

Yes, it is, but I take nothing for granted. I'll still take it day by day, though, and be thankful for every heartbeat and breath I can manage. I've always been a firm believer in taking as many breaths as possible.:buddies:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Yes, it is, but I take nothing for granted. I'll still take it day by day, though, and be thankful for every heartbeat and breath I can manage. I've always been a firm believer in taking as many breaths as possible.:buddies:

:yay:

Congratz

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

What caused your heart to lose 75% of its function? Did you have a prior heart attack or was it caused by sickness or disease?

b23hqb

PREMO Member
If I may ...

What caused your heart to lose 75% of its function? Did you have a prior heart attack or was it caused by sickness or disease?

Sorry for the delayed reply, but the best medical guess is that some kind of virus - the doctors cannot really explain why - got hold of my heart and started the downward spiral to where I am today. No heart attacks - I have no blockages at all in my arterial system, so I just put it down to the luck (bad) of the draw. The medications, especially Entresto seemed to have stabilized things out, so I'm happy. Still have a very weak and diseased heart, though, but overall quality of life is good.