Gunfire ricochets into local park? Maybe?

glhs837

Power with Control
So the Emptyprise had an article, front page, about a grandfather who complained that stray bullets were whizzing by overhead while the youths were practicing football in Dorsey Park. Literally described bullets whizzing overhead. And specifically mentioned bullets falling to the ground near the goalpost. Deputies went to the house where the guns were being fired, said the persons there were operating safely and using a sufficient backdrop.

What caught my eye was that the subhead for the front page article says the bullets were wizzing overhead. Not allegedly, but factually. And crap like this is why people don't trust media. When the only data we have is the one persons word. If there were bullets on the ground, why don't we have them? I suspect the football players were upset over the sounds of gunfire and exaggerated the case a bit. Looks like the officers were on top of it.

Talking to my son about it, he said "That's the difference between urbanites and rural folks, urban folks ignore sirens and worry about gunfire, rural folks don't bat an eye for gunfire and get concerned when they hear sirens."

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Talking to my son about it, he said "That's the difference between urbanites and rural folks, urban folks ignore sirens and worry about gunfire, rural folks don't bat an eye for gunfire and get concerned when they hear sirens."

Ha!...that's true! I never gave it a thought but he's correct.

BlueOx77

So the Emptyprise had an article, front page, about a grandfather who complained that stray bullets were whizzing by overhead while the youths were practicing football in Dorsey Park. Literally described bullets whizzing overhead. And specifically mentioned bullets falling to the ground near the goalpost. Deputies went to the house where the guns were being fired, said the persons there were operating safely and using a sufficient backdrop.

What caught my eye was that the subhead for the front page article says the bullets were wizzing overhead. Not allegedly, but factually. And crap like this is why people don't trust media. When the only data we have is the one persons word. If there were bullets on the ground, why don't we have them? I suspect the football players were upset over the sounds of gunfire and exaggerated the case a bit. Looks like the officers were on top of it.

You would expect the same coverage if it was your family member who had concerns about gunfire. If the newspaper was reporting anything libelous, there would be lawsuits filed, and won.

littlelady

God bless the USA
To me, this is the msm becoming local and getting all :jameo: and trying to change facts. When we lived on Cove View in St. Leonard for 20 years, our neighbors were always target practicing. They were just so nice to give us the heads up before so we could let out our Cookie GS mix that was abused as a pup, and would wet the bed/poop at any loud sound. Welcome to America, y'all. It is only going to get worse, unless the madness stops, and people get all jacked up about anything, and everything. I do have to say we should all watch our backs at this point, but that is another thread.

Last edited:

BlueOx77

To me, this is the msm becoming local and getting all :jameo: and trying to change facts. When we lived on Cove View in St. Leonard for 20 years, our neighbors were always target practicing. They were just so nice to give us the heads up before so we could let out our Cookie GS mix that was abused as a pup, and would wet the bed/poop at any loud sound. Welcome to America, y'all. It is only going to get worse, unless the madness stops.

No legitimate "msm" would "change facts." Your Facebook friends inform your version of reality.

littlelady

God bless the USA
No legitimate "msm" would "change facts." Your Facebook friends inform your version of reality.

I don't do FB. Never have, never will. My only internet social site is this forum. I have been here for 6 years, and a have a handle on that. Do you think our local news sources are free from spin? Thanks for your reply. You don't post often. I do know you own a spa/wellness place in St. Mary's. I wish you continued success. :smile:

BlueOx77

I don't do FB. Never have, never will. My only internet social site is this forum. I have been here for 6 years, and a have a handle on that. Do you think our local news sources are free from spin? Thanks for your reply. You don't post often. I do know you own a spa/wellness place in St. Mary's. I wish you continued success. :smile:

Facebook will connect you to more of your kind that want to continue Anglo-righteous slavery and supremacy. And yes, I own only white-only pools. Come on in, Whitey.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Facebook will connect you to more of your kind that want to continue Anglo-righteous slavery and supremacy. And yes, I own only white-only pools. Come on in, Whitey.

What? What is wrong with you? Good grief. I guess your wellness place isn't so well. I am white. I can't change that. I was raised in the South and was taught not to be a racist. I have posted before that I have black blood running through my veins; we all do. Out of Africa, and all. I am not a racist. Maybe, you should get your behind to one of those 'protests', and you will feel better. I was trying to be nice to you. You must be one of those people on FB that has caused it to explode. Unbelievable.

How did this whizzing bullet post turn into a racist topic? Just wondering. Thanks. I try to curb my curse words now because I am a grand mom of my first grandchild. But, what in the f are you talking about? Too many bath salts, or something?

Aren't you one of this forum's sponsors? I don't get anything that you have posted to me. Very weird.

Last edited:

littlelady

God bless the USA

My first thought was that it was like the Scalise episode, but now that this thread has progressed, I don't know what to think. Sheesh.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Yeah, they, the Washington Post subsidiary, really went out of their way to try to create some hyperbole. Those in the know, know, bullets don't whiz, they snap, much like a firecracker, when going past your head. And, bullets falling to the ground? Ha. Maybe if the box fall off the table. If there were so much danger present, then why did these people stick around at the park? The paper is trying to create hysteria.

Tech

So, if they were falling by the goalposts, were they recovered? Or were they just hearing report echoes from the trees across the field?

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
If I may ...

Yeah, they, the Washington Post subsidiary, really went out of their way to try to create some hyperbole. Those in the know, know, bullets don't whiz, they snap, much like a firecracker, when going past your head. And, bullets falling to the ground? Ha. Maybe if the box fall off the table. If there were so much danger present, then why did these people stick around at the park? The paper is trying to create hysteria.

I agree on the hyperbole, but have to respectfully disagree on the "whiz". I've heard bullets "whiz" on a ricochet off of a tree truck. Of course, I ran to my safe space for some milk, cookies, and puppy cuddling. :yay:

glhs837

Power with Control
You would expect the same coverage if it was your family member who had concerns about gunfire. If the newspaper was reporting anything libelous, there would be lawsuits filed, and won.

What I might want is irrelevant, my point was that the reporter took liberties, stating things as facts when in fact all he had was hearsay from a possibly incorrect/exaggerating for effect witness. Stuff like this is why the words "allegedly" and "reportedly" were invented. I have no objection to this being covered. I do object to shoddy reporting. Simplest would be to use correct wording. Next level would be to either ask the family if they recovered any of the bullets falling from the sky. Maybe go there and look for yourself. Have a buddy with a metal detector come take a peek. If it's front page news of what's purportedly a real danger to children, that level of effort seems warranted. And libel would have required them to name the persons who were firing. So no lawsuit.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

I can't imagine why anyone would desire or "expect" wildly inaccurate reporting?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I agree on the hyperbole, but have to respectfully disagree on the "whiz". I've heard bullets "whiz" on a ricochet off of a tree truck. Of course, I ran to my safe space for some milk, cookies, and puppy cuddling. :yay:

A ricochet whiz sound, (enter Clint Eastwood movie bullet ricochet noise), is way less on magnitudes different than from a bullet traveling at 2500 feet per second by your head. Unless of course it was your head that was right next to that tree trunk where, and when, that bullet ricocheted from? Loud, but still different.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I can't imagine why anyone would desire or "expect" wildly inaccurate reporting?

:LOL

how true, they seem to find people to quote which at first glance would be a first hand account eye witness.
But when you think about what they are saying, it just doesn't fit. I would not expect any thing to "whiz" over my head and then within less than 100 yards crash to earth. Bullets don't just drop out of the air.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If I may ...

A ricochet whiz sound, (enter Clint Eastwood movie bullet ricochet noise), is way less on magnitudes different than from a bullet traveling at 2500 feet per second by your head. Unless of course it was your head that was right next to that tree trunk where, and when, that bullet ricocheted from? Loud, but still different.

Bullets passing close enough to hear make more of a dull snapping sound maybe accompanied by a sort of buzz if they are subsonic...none of that crazy stuff they dubbed over in all the Eastwood spaghetti movies..LOL.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Bullets passing close enough to hear make more of a dull snapping sound maybe accompanied by a sort of buzz if they are subsonic...none of that crazy stuff they dubbed over in all the Eastwood spaghetti movies..LOL.

You mean they don't really sound like, "pew pew pew"?!!