Eclipse Glasses

SamSpade

Is any place selling any around here? I just know at least one of my kids is going to look right at it unless I have SOMETHING to protect his eyes.

DEEKAYPEE8569

the st marys libraries are handing them out Saturday morning, or find a welders lens shade 12 or darker.
I happen to have my Dad's welder's goggles. Don't know what shade they are, but he used to use them for welding within arm's length. If I'm feeling lucky, I might try them.
:fingerscrossed:

buddscreek

the lens will have a number printed or stamped on it. most goggles have a shade 5 lens and welders mask come with a shade 10.
nasa recommends a shade 12 or darker.

Clem72

the lens will have a number printed or stamped on it. most goggles have a shade 5 lens and welders mask come with a shade 10.
nasa recommends a shade 12 or darker.

So what I am hearing is that I can weld with my $1 solar eclipse glasses. Got it.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I've got a few auto-darkening helmets that I use in my shop..I'll start off with 12 to watch the eclipse..but I normally weld with 11 and I have sensitive eyes (they flash-burn easily).

I've probably got a pile of the glass lenses for the older helmets too, but I'm sure they are all 10s and 11s.

black dog

Free America
So what I am hearing is that I can weld with my $1 solar eclipse glasses. Got it.

Retinas will be fine for a bit, it's that massive blistering of the rest of your face that might be uncomfortable..

This is the projected path of the eclipse.

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/sites/default/files/sites/default/files/state_capitals_map.png

We Marylanders probably won't receive the massive blistering; but I still might try the welding goggles.

If he welds with sun glasses, he will quickly blister up. Intense uv is a bitch.

black dog

Free America
I've got a few auto-darkening helmets that I use in my shop..I'll start off with 12 to watch the eclipse..but I normally weld with 11 and I have sensitive eyes (they flash-burn easily).

I've probably got a pile of the glass lenses for the older helmets too, but I'm sure they are all 10s and 11s.

I have a couple of auto Jackson's myself, I'm just going to use a couple of large lens #12's old schools that I have hanging on the wall.
I used to have one of the wild pig hoods but my son somehow acquired it.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I have a couple of auto Jackson's myself, I'm just going to use a couple of large lens #12's old schools that I have hanging on the wall.
I used to have one of the wild pig hoods but my son somehow acquired it.

I've got one Miller and one Jackson...the rest are old school flip-ups.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
auto lens helments won't stay dark. they need the constent flash of the weld arc to work

I routinely test mine before starting a new weld task by simply flipping them towards the sun while looking through them. You set the sensitivity level high enough, they stay on. That said, I might use one of my old helmets anyway. The solar event might not trigger the same as the regular sun does..

I can always blame Doc if the auto helmet does not stay on... ;-p Seriously, I've got one brand of auto helmet from him that won't reliably trigger on a TIG strike. Doc thought I was doing something wrong until more reports started coming in on same problem. After that he'd ask people that wanted to buy that brand (impressive looking graphics..;-)) whether they were TIG welding or not..it worked fine with stick and MIG. Weird. He does not sell that particular model any more.

Last edited: