Droid vs. I-Phone

Agee

Relatively new to the world of smart phones and have a Android version. I was taken a back when I started messing with the phone on how much the device is wrapped around all things Google. Yes, I use the Google search engine on a regular basis, but am becoming increasingly leery of Google and its policies including intrusion into your personal space.

So, I-phone users is it worth the switch?

stgislander

PREMO Member
relatively new to the world of smart phones and have a android version. I was taken a back when i started messing with the phone on how much the device is wrapped around all things google. Yes, i use the google search engine on a regular basis, but am becoming increasingly leery of google and its policies including intrusion into your personal space.

So, i-phone users is it worth the switch?

no!!!

Clem72

Wow. Well I guess as long as you trust Apple more than Google, because it's not like the iPhone is less "wrapped around" that company than Android is around Google.

You can also get an Android phone that is based on the open fork of Android (AOSP) and it won't have any googly special sauce baked in (no maps, chrome, play store, wallet, etc.)

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Wow. Well I guess as long as you trust Apple more than Google, because it's not like the iPhone is less "wrapped around" that company than Android is around Google.
^This^

I have never had an iPhone and never will. I hate all their proprietary crap and being at their mercy.

You can also get an Android phone that is based on the open fork of Android (AOSP) and it won't have any googly special sauce baked in (no maps, chrome, play store, wallet, etc.)
Where do you find these? I love my Samsung and hope there is something similar out there as I am looking to upgrade now.

Clem72

Where do you find these? I love my Samsung and hope there is something similar out there as I am looking to upgrade now.

Easiest way is to unlock a normal phone and then install an AOSP rom for that phone (most popular phones will have the rom and installation instructions provided many places). Manufacturers that use AOSP like to put some of their own stuff in as well (but it isn't Google....) so you can go with OnePlus for example (which uses CyanogenMod, which is based off of AOSP).

My personal recommendation is LineageOS (fork from the CyanogenMod OS, includes most of the original team).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LineageOS

Open source and developed specifically to be the most transparent and least tied to any vendor/company. You can see a list of their pre-installed apps on the wiki.

So if you buy a phone that is supported by LineageOS you will be in good shape (and again that will be most of the popular phones).

Agee

Thanks for the info on "Open Fork", read a couple of articles on the subject and see that Samsung is making inroads with their own Aps and Amazon is making a run at the market (copy and paste). Also learned Android is open source and Google is of course, closed.

On Yeah and China does not allow the Google stuff on Chinese phones, go figure...

All of my family has Apple, I have Android. So far, I'm the only one who hasn't has weird issues or had to have the phone replaced. My brother just got a new iPhone (not sure which model) and half the time he uses his wife's phone because his texts don't go out, missed calls, he doesn't get messages....

I'm staying with 'Droid. You do need to create an account with Google to set up everything and get apps downloaded from the store, but you do not have to all of those services logged in all the time. Only when you want/need something. I run pretty blind to them most of the time.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Easiest way is to unlock a normal phone and then install an AOSP rom for that phone (most popular phones will have the rom and installation instructions provided many places). Manufacturers that use AOSP like to put some of their own stuff in as well (but it isn't Google....) so you can go with OnePlus for example (which uses CyanogenMod, which is based off of AOSP).

My personal recommendation is LineageOS (fork from the CyanogenMod OS, includes most of the original team).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LineageOS

Open source and developed specifically to be the most transparent and least tied to any vendor/company. You can see a list of their pre-installed apps on the wiki.

So if you buy a phone that is supported by LineageOS you will be in good shape (and again that will be most of the popular phones).

Thanks for the info. Good stuff. :yay:

My biggest complaint with my current Samsung (Grand Prime) is it is only 8GB and continually runs out of space because half of that space is mostly stuff I can't get rid of or can't be moved onto my SD card.

I am looking at the Samsung S7 or S8. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Pete

Repete
I like Apple, I have apple everything and its all linked and it works perfect for me. I can set my own default search engine. Only thing I do not like much is the photo software. I don't understand moments, faces, people, events, and so on.