Egg Whites in a carton

PsyOps

Pixelated
So, my last blood work showed borderline high LDL (where they'd start giving me a med to fix it). I've been lifting pretty seriously for a little more than a year now, so I need the protein, and was eating whole eggs (4 per day). I've read a lot about how dietary cholesterol doesn't necessarily translate to blood cholesterol. Nevertheless, I decided to change to egg whites only. It was easier to buy the egg whites in a carton than to extract the yokes from whole eggs.

The issue I may be having is, since I've started eating the carton egg whites, I've had diarrhea. Now, I should caveat this with the fact that I did have oral surgery and was on antibiotics for about 2 weeks. I've been on amoxicillin before and never had the craps like this. This is what's making me think it's the eggs.

The thing that makes me wonder what these eggs really are is that you have to shake the carton well before cooking. If they are all natural egg whites, why would I need to shake them? This tells me they are made more from powdered eggs, than natural egg whites. I even looked up the brands I've bought and they claim they are all natural egg whites from whole eggs.

So, does anyone that has eaten egg whites from a carton know the answer? Are these really natural egg whites right from the whole egg, or more from a powder form?

frequentflier

happy to be living
So, my last blood work showed borderline high LDL (where they'd start giving me a med to fix it). I've been lifting pretty seriously for a little more than a year now, so I need the protein, and was eating whole eggs (4 per day). I've read a lot about how dietary cholesterol doesn't necessarily translate to blood cholesterol. Nevertheless, I decided to change to egg whites only. It was easier to buy the egg whites in a carton than to extract the yokes from whole eggs.

The issue I may be having is, since I've started eating the carton egg whites, I've had diarrhea. Now, I should caveat this with the fact that I did have oral surgery and was on antibiotics for about 2 weeks. I've been on amoxicillin before and never had the craps like this. This is what's making me think it's the eggs.

The thing that makes me wonder what these eggs really are is that you have to shake the carton well before cooking. If they are all natural egg whites, why would I need to shake them? This tells me they are made more from powdered eggs, than natural egg whites. I even looked up the brands I've bought and they claim they are all natural egg whites from whole eggs.

So, does anyone that has eaten egg whites from a carton know the answer? Are these really natural egg whites right from the whole egg, or more from a powder form?

I cannot answer about the eggwhites but I would suggest some probiotics. When on antibiotics, they tear up your gut by getting rid of the bad bacteria as well as the good. Probiotics keep the good bacteria in check. You can buy them over the counter (and take on an empty stomach- refrigerate after opening) or eat yogurt with a high probiotic count, cottage cheese.
Taken daily, even when not on antibiotics, probiotics maintain a good flora in your gut.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I cannot answer about the eggwhites but I would suggest some probiotics. When on antibiotics, they tear up your gut by getting rid of the bad bacteria as well as the good. Probiotics keep the good bacteria in check. You can buy them over the counter (and take on an empty stomach- refrigerate after opening) or eat yogurt with a high probiotic count, cottage cheese.
Taken daily, even when not on antibiotics, probiotics maintain a good flora in your gut.

I'm really religious about taking my probiotics, even when not on antibiotics. I take the Renew Life Ultimate Flora 90 billion in the morning on an empty stomach, then a 50 billion later in the day. This brand has the most strains of live cultures I've been able to find. When on antibiotics, I evenly stagger my probiotic intake. I'm all about a healthy gut and the microbiome. I'm also religious about eating foods rich in prebiotics; primarily bananas, since they are a good source of carbs for workout too.

Thanks for the advice. :buddies:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't understand carton egg whites. Separating eggs is about the easiest cooking skill in the world.

1. Hold your hand over a bowl.
2. Crack egg into your cupped hand
3. Let whites run through your fingers into the bowl
4. Throw the yolk in another bowl for later use
5. Repeat until you have all the whites you need
6. Wash your hands

I can do a full dozen in under 30 seconds.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Stop eating egg white for a week to see if things improve. Eat some yogurt daily when taking antibiotics.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Since we're on the subject of probiotics:

When the hell did kombucha become a thing?? We keep seeing kombucha fountains all over the place, in the grocery stores and natural food places. Typically there are several flavors to choose from, and you refill your jug like a growler. Curiosity got the best of me, so I tried it.....yack. Watered down vinegar. Supposedly flavored, but not so's you'd notice - they all tasted pretty much the same.

I think "they" make this crap up to mess with us. "Hey, I know! Let's say that watered down vinegar is good for you and see how many rubes we can get to turn it into a fad! We'll charge outrageous prices for it and call it 'organic'."

PsyOps

Pixelated
I don't understand carton egg whites. Separating eggs is about the easiest cooking skill in the world.

6. Wash your hands

I'm all about time management when it comes to cooking. So, I thought it would be quicker to just dump egg whites in the skillet, than to spend the extra time sucking the yolks out.

I find this way to be a lot less messing and very quick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AirVOuTN_M

Last edited:

PsyOps

Pixelated
Since we're on the subject of probiotics:

When the hell did kombucha become a thing?? We keep seeing kombucha fountains all over the place, in the grocery stores and natural food places. Typically there are several flavors to choose from, and you refill your jug like a growler. Curiosity got the best of me, so I tried it.....yack. Watered down vinegar. Supposedly flavored, but not so's you'd notice - they all tasted pretty much the same.

I think "they" make this crap up to mess with us. "Hey, I know! Let's say that watered down vinegar is good for you and see how many rubes we can get to turn it into a fad! We'll charge outrageous prices for it and call it 'organic'."

The fermentation of making kombucha sets up a great environment for breeding several strains of good bacteria, and is considered a safe and natural way to get probiotics into your gut. With supplements (pills), they work best on an empty stomach when stomach acid is at its lowest, and allows the capsules to get to the gut virtually unimpeded.

I did kombucha for a while, then realized it just didn't produce enough different strains of cultures to support the cost vs benefit ratio. I could only stand the taste of a couple of them though.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Stop eating egg white for a week to see if things improve. Eat some yogurt daily when taking antibiotics.

I have stopped it altogether. I was just curious that, if the carton egg whites are egg whites right from the egg, why would they need to be shook well? It tells me they are made from powdered eggs. I do all I can to stay away from processed foods like this. It means a lot of chemicals went into processing it. That's counter-productive to eating clean.

6. Wash your hands

:lmao:

When I said I separated the yolks from the whites to make a better fried egg, you said it was too much trouble.....

BeenSpur'd

I love her wild,wild hair
I have stopped it altogether. I was just curious that, if the carton egg whites are egg whites right from the egg, why would they need to be shook well? It tells me they are made from powdered eggs. I do all I can to stay away from processed foods like this. It means a lot of chemicals went into processing it. That's counter-productive to eating clean.[/QUOTE

Look at the ingredients, if it says egg whites and maybe something for a presevative, its fresh. If it says dehydrated egg and some kind of water, its reconstituted.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
:lmao:

When I said I separated the yolks from the whites to make a better fried egg, you said it was too much trouble.....

I'm pretty sure separating eggs so you can use just the whites, and separating the eggs so that you can then put them back together again are two very different things.

happyazz

Skiing in the clouds
I have stopped it altogether. I was just curious that, if the carton egg whites are egg whites right from the egg, why would they need to be shook well? It tells me they are made from powdered eggs. I do all I can to stay away from processed foods like this. It means a lot of chemicals went into processing it. That's counter-productive to eating clean.[/QUOTE

Look at the ingredients, if it says egg whites and maybe something for a presevative, its fresh. If it says dehydrated egg and some kind of water, its reconstituted.

Exactly what I was thinking!!

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Drop the eggs for a while and replace with a whey protein shake after you lift and for time release protein, use casein right before you go to bed.