Crews Remove Taney Statue From Maryland State House Overnight

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
ANNAPOLIS, Md. (WJZ/AP) — A statue of the U.S. Supreme Court justice who wrote the 1857 Dred Scott decision that upheld slavery and denied citizenship to African Americans was removed from the grounds of the Maryland State House early Friday morning.

The statue of Roger B. Taney was lifted away by a crane at about 2 a.m. It was lowered into a truck and driven away to storage. The bronze statue was erected in 1872, just outside the original front door of the State House.

Three of the four voting members of the State House Trust voted by email Wednesday to move the statue.

House Speaker Michael Busch, a Democrat who was one of the three who voted to remove it, wrote this week that the statue “doesn’t belong” on the grounds.

His comments came after the violent protests in Charlottesville, Virginia, last weekend, when violent clashes broke out between white nationalists and counter-protesters. A woman was killed when a car plowed into a crowd of people who were there to condemn the white nationalists, who held a rally prompted by Charlottesville officials’ decision to remove a monument to Robert E. Lee.

Hijinx

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (WJZ/AP) — A statue of the U.S. Supreme Court justice who wrote the 1857 Dred Scott decision that upheld slavery and denied citizenship to African Americans was removed from the grounds of the Maryland State House early Friday morning.

The statue of Roger B. Taney was lifted away by a crane at about 2 a.m. It was lowered into a truck and driven away to storage. The bronze statue was erected in 1872, just outside the original front door of the State House.

Three of the four voting members of the State House Trust voted by email Wednesday to move the statue.

House Speaker Michael Busch, a Democrat who was one of the three who voted to remove it, wrote this week that the statue “doesn’t belong” on the grounds.

His comments came after the violent protests in Charlottesville, Virginia, last weekend, when violent clashes broke out between white nationalists and counter-protesters. A woman was killed when a car plowed into a crowd of people who were there to condemn the white nationalists, who held a rally prompted by Charlottesville officials’ decision to remove a monument to Robert E. Lee.

Taney's statue didn't mean a thing to me. I have no reason to defend it.
I do hate the cowardly way in which it was removed in the dead of night.
I hate the fact that it was removed for fear of a gang of thugs and vandals.
Capitulating to criminal acts is no way to capitalize on Law and Order.

The State of Maryland just told Antifa and BLM that it fears them.

I would suppose that our Governor and the two clowns Mike and Mike will be headed to Antietam in the near future to destroy the memorials there and put the land up for development.

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
ANNAPOLIS, Md. (WJZ/AP) — A statue of the U.S. Supreme Court justice who wrote the 1857 Dred Scott decision that upheld slavery and denied citizenship to African Americans [/COLOR][/B][/URL]

The decision was 7-2 and based on the standard understanding of the legal status of slaves at that time. Citizenship was not officially and explicitly conferred/grant to them until after the war ended.

And yet everyone bitches and moans when judges "legislate from the bench" now....

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
No big loss. Taney was a dick.

Yes..,
Baltimore's murder rate will stay under 300
The black incarceration rate will lower
Black poverty will cease
Black children will stop having babies without fathers
Opioid deaths will cease
North Korea will become our ally
ISIsS will quit killing

Taney f'ing who?

Midnightrider

How so? Specifically
He did ignore the fact that freedmen in some states were allowed to vote at the time of the writing of the constitution. Therefore they were citizens of their states which would mean they were a citizen of the United States. That's kind of dickish

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
He did ignore the fact that freedmen in some states were allowed to vote at the time of the writing of the constitution. Therefore they were citizens of their states which would mean they were a citizen of the United States. That's kind of dickish

How do you morons reduce a 7 to 2 decision to "he"?

officeguy

Yes..,
Baltimore's murder rate will stay under 300
The black incarceration rate will lower
Black poverty will cease
Black children will stop having babies without fathers
Opioid deaths will cease
North Korea will become our ally
ISIsS will quit killing

Taney f'ing who?

Did anyone claim that removing the statue from the statehouse would accomplish any change to those issues ?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
He wrote the decision.

Got it.

I firmly believe that we should judge the actions of all 18th and 19th century persons using only today's viewpoints and moral "standards".

Yeah..I really do.

I also believe that we should rightly have expected 19th century judges to legislate from the bench, even though we decry that when it happens now.

Yep.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
No big loss. Taney was a dick.

He wasn't a dick so much as a man of his time, and that was the prevailing attitude then - just the way it was.

However, now they're just looking for something to bitch about. They want to rename Yawkey Way in front of Fenway Park because Tom Yawkey...wait for it...was the last team owner to hire black players. Not that he never did, but that he was the last one to do it. That is one of the more absurd things I've ever hear, but I hate to lay down a challenge like that because they keep coming up with more and more stupid ####.

This is a manufactured race war, created by the media and politicians.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I was in 9th grade when I first moved to MD, so I never had early Maryland history, I only know what I have read about as an adult. It's been a long while since I studied about the Dred Scott case, and I'm pretty sure I never really paid any attention to the Chief Judge's name other than maybe needing to know it on a test. (?) I've also lived in Calvert County since 2005 and never realized the Chief Justice who delivered the majority opinoin in that case was born in Calvert County. Maybe they taught that back in middle school civics. :shrug:

Anyhoo, here's a bit of his background.

Early life and career

Roger Brooke Taney was born on March 17, 1777 in Calvert County, Maryland, the son of Monica (Brooke) and Michael Taney.[SUP][4][/SUP] He was the second son, and the third of seven children (four sons and three daughters) born to a slaveholding family of tobacco planters in Calvert County, Maryland. He received a rudimentary education from a series of private tutors. After instructing him for a year, his last tutor, David English, recommended that Taney was ready for college.[SUP][5][/SUP] At the age of 15 he entered Dickinson College in Pennsylvania, graduating with honors in 1795.[SUP][6][/SUP] As a younger son with no prospect of inheriting the family plantation, Taney chose the profession of law. He read law with Judge Jeremiah Townley Chase and was admitted to the bar in 1799. He quickly distinguished himself as one of Maryland's most promising young lawyers.

Marriage and family

Taney married Anne Phoebe Charlton Key, sister of Francis Scott Key, on January 7, 1806.[SUP][7][/SUP] They had seven children together.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_B._Taney

littlelady

God bless the USA
They were all dicks. Doesn't make it any better.

You need to be more progressive, or is that, aggressive? Same thing. Carry on, and rewrite/deny history all you want. You didn't live in that time, or maybe, you did. I don't know how old you are.

And, sorry to disappoint you, but 'witching hour' is over. You know what I am talking about. You are a hoot and a half. Oh, and may I say, you are a hypocrite. Thank you, because I just said it, and you are welcome. Carry on. :smile:

Last edited:

littlelady

God bless the USA
I do want to add another thought. I have a Colonial primitive table w/ drawer, and original key (circa 1710) that has been in my fam all these years. It is part of the decor of my fam room. It is so beat up, and has dings and imperfections all over it, but I like to think of it as my history. I often wonder what caused the damage over more than 2 Centuries. I wish it could tell me. It is, actually, the table my computer sits on. Very appropriate. I thought of this because I lovingly, as I do once a week, clean it with Orange Glo (best wood cleaner/restorer ever, and it smells good too). That's all.

Last edited: