War, Propaganda, and the Media

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
http://www.globalissues.org/article/157/war-propaganda-and-the-media

As the various examples below will show, common tactics in propaganda often used by either side include:

• Using selective stories that come over as wide-covering and objective.
  • Partial facts, or historical context
  • Reinforcing reasons and motivations to act due to threats on the security of the individual.
  • Narrow sources of "experts" to provide insights in to the situation. (For example, the mainstream media typically interview retired military personnel for many conflict-related issues, or treat official government sources as fact, rather than just one perspective that needs to be verified and researched).
  • Demonizing the "enemy" who does not fit the picture of what is "right".
  • Using a narrow range of discourse, whereby judgments are often made while the boundary of discourse itself, or the framework within which the opinions are formed, are often not discussed. The narrow focus then helps to serve the interests of the propagandists.

Some of the following sections look into how propaganda is used in various ways, expanding on the above list of tactics and devices.

Any of this sound familiar?

And please read the whole thing, not just the blurb I posted. Or not. You can remain part of the problem if you want to.

Wishbone

I believe that is the only article i've ever read to quote "The Mysterious Stranger"

Only got 2/3 through before interrupted but good read so far.

:yay: