Ants Shorting Out Breakers

SamSpade

I've tried pesticides but I need a more permanent solution - these damned bastards keep getting into my outdoor breakers and shorting them out.
Is there a way to seal an electrical box closed enough that an ant STILL can't get inside?

Wishbone

I've tried pesticides but I need a more permanent solution - these damned bastards keep getting into my outdoor breakers and shorting them out.
Is there a way to seal an electrical box closed enough that an ant STILL can't get inside?

You're gonna have to find a better place to hide the candies.

DEEKAYPEE8569

You can apply sealants to your outdoor breakers, but that just makes them hard to service. I did find this, searching "ants and electrical equipment."

http://articles.extension.org/pages/30057/ants-and-electrical-equipment

Treatment for Ants in Electrical Equipment

Drees (1998) has discussed treatment options, including specialty products, to protect electrical units. Most recently, tests by Texas AgriLife Extension Service personnel have shown there are treatments that can prevent ant infestation in transformer units and sprinkler irrigation control boxes (Table 2). A product known as Arinix®, consisting of permethrin impregnated nylon parts that kill ants for a number of years, can protect circuitry and prevent ant colonization of these sensitive units. Mackay (1988) suggested a mechanical solution for enclosed switching mechanisms involving sealing entry holes with glue. See time laps video of Arinix used as a barrier treatment.

They got into the relays of my hot tub years ago. Ruined it. Had to replace an entire computer board.

SamSpade

You can apply sealants to your outdoor breakers, but that just makes them hard to service. I did find this, searching "ants and electrical equipment."

http://articles.extension.org/pages/30057/ants-and-electrical-equipment

Treatment for Ants in Electrical Equipment

Drees (1998) has discussed treatment options, including specialty products, to protect electrical units. Most recently, tests by Texas AgriLife Extension Service personnel have shown there are treatments that can prevent ant infestation in transformer units and sprinkler irrigation control boxes (Table 2). A product known as Arinix®, consisting of permethrin impregnated nylon parts that kill ants for a number of years, can protect circuitry and prevent ant colonization of these sensitive units. Mackay (1988) suggested a mechanical solution for enclosed switching mechanisms involving sealing entry holes with glue. See time laps video of Arinix used as a barrier treatment.

Came across that one too. I don't think Arinix is the best solution for me. I'm thinking some kind of sealant would be better combined with a pest control INSIDE the box because the problem with spraying the outside area is, ONE rainstorm and it's all gone.

I just don't know of any, and I might be good to hear how other people solved it themselves.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Came across that one too. I don't think Arinix is the best solution for me. I'm thinking some kind of sealant would be better combined with a pest control INSIDE the box because the problem with spraying the outside area is, ONE rainstorm and it's all gone.

I just don't know of any, and I might be good to hear how other people solved it themselves.

Spoke to an electrician friend who recommended this:

Explosion Proof Breaker Panel

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...535...0i131k1j0i131i46k1j46i131k1.J-U35_NCUBo

Chris0nllyn

A NEMA 3R (required for outdoor use) panel should be sealed tight enough to not allow ants in. Also be sure the hubs/conduit penetrations are correctly installed. Myers hubs should be used.

Don't use a NEMA 7 (explosion-proof) panel. That'll be about $10k of waisted money.

I'd try some sealing putty at any open holes ants are getting in, then put 1 or 2 of those Terro ant bait traps.

DEEKAYPEE8569

A NEMA 3R (required for outdoor use) panel should be sealed tight enough to not allow ants in. Also be sure the hubs/conduit penetrations are correctly installed. Myers hubs should be used.

Don't use a NEMA 7 (explosion-proof) panel. That'll be about $10k of waisted money.

I'd try some sealing putty at any open holes ants are getting in, then put 1 or 2 of those Terro ant bait traps.
I did notice the cost of those. Thought to myself, 'just for and control?'
One or two Terro and bait traps AND ant block.

How did you keep them from coming back? They got into this just months ago and ruined it.

Bayer Ant Killer. Re-apply every couple of weeks. Also took care of the leopard crickets that liked the warm closed in area. Disgusting creatures, make a big mess.

Agee

Experienced five, (when ants attack) incidents in my Heat Pump outside unit since having it installed 1 1/2 years ago. The first couple of times the HVAC Co. fixed through replacing the compressor relay, the rest I've gone in and taken the contacts out of the relay, cleaned and re-installed.

The little ####s, jump from vegetation around the power supply cable, march-up the cable and right into the relay (240Vac). They tend to congregate on the contacts and eventually provide enough ant guts to keep the contacts from engaging. Sealed as well as I can around the cable entrance with plumbers putty and spread granular ant bait around the area.

I've done some searches on why the ants are attracted to the relay. Some suggest the EMF around the contacts to the high voltage and current? :shrug:.

In your case, sounds as if they are climbing via the power cables from ground level or down from the overhead? Try and determine which cable they are moving on and seal the box cable entrance. Do they attack a particular breaker?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Experienced five, (when ants attack) incidents in my Heat Pump outside unit since having it installed 1 1/2 years ago. The first couple of times the HVAC Co. fixed through replacing the compressor relay, the rest I've gone in and taken the contacts out of the relay, cleaned and re-installed.

The little ####s, jump from vegetation around the power supply cable, march-up the cable and right into the relay (240Vac). They tend to congregate on the contacts and eventually provide enough ant guts to keep the contacts from engaging. Sealed as well as I can around the cable entrance with plumbers putty and spread granular ant bait around the area.

I've done some searches on why the ants are attracted to the relay. Some suggest the EMF around the contacts to the high voltage and current? :shrug:.

In your case, sounds as if they are climbing via the power cables from ground level or down from the overhead? Try and determine which cable they are moving on and seal the box cable entrance. Do they attack a particular breaker?

Would Dielectric grease maintain the contacts and keep the ant guts out??

black dog

Free America
Would Dielectric grease maintain the contacts and keep the ant guts out??

No.. contacts are designed to be self cleaning, when they make contact they slide against each other. All lube of any kind will do is hold material on the contacts and cause even more issues.
And the last thing you should ever use to clean contacts with is sandpaper or a file. You use polishing paper / cloth that's designed to clean and polish contacts.
It's common place for people to do it, but all that's done is to cut grooves in the contact for more garbage to sit and shortly it will start the arcing problem again.

black dog

Free America
This will take care of your ants for a couple of decades.

s13.jpg

PeoplesElbow

If the panel stays dry inside you could try diatomaceous earth inside, ants will not walk over it because it is like shards of glass to them and shreads their exoskeleton.

First I would seal the panel with some silicone caulking though.

Chris0nllyn

No.. contacts are designed to be self cleaning, when they make contact they slide against each other. All lube of any kind will do is hold material on the contacts and cause even more issues.
And the last thing you should ever use to clean contacts with is sandpaper or a file. You use polishing paper / cloth that's designed to clean and polish contacts.
It's common place for people to do it, but all that's done is to cut grooves in the contact for more garbage to sit and shortly it will start the arcing problem again.

That is true for contactors, not panelboard breakers. Siemens and Square D actually puts dielectric grease on some breakers from the factory. Prevents oxygen off the contact to bus bars, preventing corrosion.

That being said, I would hesitate to add any insulating compound to an area you want good contact between two metals.