USS John S McCain collides with oil tanker

Chris0nllyn

Ten sailors are missing and five were injured after the USS John S McCain destroyer was involved in a collision with a 600-foot oil tanker in busy Southeast Asian waters on Monday morning.

According to a video posted by Vessel Finder, the Alnic MC was heading at 228 degrees at 10.8 knots approaching the eastern approaches of Singapore.

It was within a group of approximately seven cargo vessels approaching Singapore.

The footage shows the Alnic MC veering sharply to the left with its speed dropping considerably at the moment of impact.

At least three cargo vessels cotinued at speed despite the accident, while the Alinc MC appeared to reverse away from the USS McCain.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4808054/USS-John-McCain-collides-merchant-ship.html

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
A repeat in only a couple months.

:sad:

He really is stretching lately, isn't he? But consider this, the lefty "anti-Trump anti-capitalism news alert" system is so focused on lynch-mobs stringing up every black they can find the lefty posters are having to do their own web searches.

Chris0nllyn

He really is stretching lately, isn't he? But consider this, the lefty "anti-Trump anti-capitalism news alert" system is so focused on lynch-mobs stringing up every black they can find the lefty posters are having to do their own web searches.

You do understand this is a seperate incident than the USS Fitzgerald incident, yes?

It's pointed out in the article:
This is the second collision involving a ship from the Navy's 7th Fleet in the Pacific in two months.

Seven sailors died in June when the USS Fitzgerald and a container ship hit each other in waters off Japan.

Agee

latest reports the Navy is looking into 'hacking'

"Loss of steering" being reported. Unsure if this is being tied to "hacking reports". In my basic understanding of Naval vessel steering systems, beyond me how a "system hack" could find its way into the steering control system?

BTW, if it is in fact loss of steering there is back-up protocol to regain steerage (aft steering).

stgislander

PREMO Member
Airgasm;5801634BTW said:
Always has been in the past, although after steering is usually only manned during general quarters, special sea detail, and any other maneuvering detail deemed necessary.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
"Loss of steering" being reported. Unsure if this is being tied to "hacking reports". In my basic understanding of Naval vessel steering systems, beyond me how a "system hack" could find its way into the steering control system?

BTW, if it is in fact loss of steering there is back-up protocol to regain steerage (aft steering).

I'm guessing most systems are computerized these days .... input on the bridge sends commands to a computerized Hydraulic Control System at the Rudder

Basic Steering Gear