Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 39

Thread: Aluminum tube stock local?

  1. #21
    Power with Control glhs837's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    19,632
    Quote Originally Posted by stgislander View Post
    I was thinking that the flex may be an issue.

    Good point. Luckily I have a 1/4 mile long private road to do testing on.
    "I aim to misbehave."

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Location
    not near PAX
    Posts
    2,702
    Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    Six feet :)
    sure it wasn't for the whole stick? Don't think they sell by the foot. I'd try calling Stauffers or Coffee Hill and see if they have any short pieces.
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.

  3. #23
    Power with Control glhs837's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    19,632
    Quote Originally Posted by nutz View Post
    sure it wasn't for the whole stick? Don't think they sell by the foot. I'd try calling Stauffers or Coffee Hill and see if they have any short pieces.


    I put in my request that I wanted six feet. Might be he was charging for the whole stick like Lowes might if I wanted a 14 foot board :) Would either of those guys be likely to have aluminum?
    "I aim to misbehave."

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Location
    not near PAX
    Posts
    2,702
    Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    I put in my request that I wanted six feet. Might be he was charging for the whole stick like Lowes might if I wanted a 14 foot board :) Would either of those guys be likely to have aluminum?
    First guess would go to Coffee Hill. Isn't there a super salvage on St andrew church road? You may talk them out of a piece if its there. I'm thinking used scaffolding may be really close to that size.
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.

  5. #25
    How about a piece of galvanized or black pipe? I'm sure it's not very expensive for a short piece, and a little paint will dress it up nicely.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

  6. #26
    Power with Control glhs837's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    19,632
    Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    How about a piece of galvanized or black pipe? I'm sure it's not very expensive for a short piece, and a little paint will dress it up nicely.
    Six foot long section of that would maybe weigh as much as the rest of the rig.
    "I aim to misbehave."

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    How about a piece of galvanized or black pipe? I'm sure it's not very expensive for a short piece, and a little paint will dress it up nicely.
    That's around 10 lbs of metal for 1" sch 40 pipe.
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

  8. #28
    A little weight will make it a little more stable.

    No happy median here, is there? Too flimsy, too expensive, too heavy.....
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

  9. #29
    Power with Control glhs837's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    19,632
    Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    A little weight will make it a little more stable.

    No happy median here, is there? Too flimsy, too expensive, too heavy.....

    Fresh out of unobtainium :)
    "I aim to misbehave."

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by nutz View Post
    sure it wasn't for the whole stick? Don't think they sell by the foot. I'd try calling Stauffers or Coffee Hill and see if they have any short pieces.
    Yes they will cut to order, but you might just be paying for the 10 to 24' stick to buy your short and you just don't know it.
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

Members who have read this thread: 32

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |