Aluminum tube stock local?

glhs837

Power with Control
So, modding a bike dual stroller into a kayak trailer I can pull behind the bicycle. Need to extend the tow bar out considerably, maybe 4-6 feet to accommodate the longer kayak I plan to step up to at some point. Anyplace local to source aluminum tube that isn't going to want to my first grandkid?

Schwinn trailer.jpg

Schwinn naked.jpg

black dog

Free America
Posner's on Airport View road. Turn on Airport View road and turn right into the first commercial strip building on the right. Far end of the building.

Your gonna pay a small extra....

glhs837

Power with Control
Posner's on Airport View road. Turn on Airport View road and turn right into the first commercial strip building on the right. Far end of the building.

Your gonna pay a small extra....

I don't mind a little extra. Just not "Straight on til we hit the colon" extra. And I should have thought of them. I've seen them when heading back to the junkyard.

black dog

Free America
I don't mind a little extra. Just not "Straight on til we hit the colon" extra. And I should have thought of them. I've seen them when heading back to the junkyard.

You might ask if they have any drops in the already cut pile.. one stick of aluminum shouldn't be that bad..

You gotta remember that metals are sold by volume..
When I order some 4140 round stock that is called DM round stock .. it's been pulled through a mandrel to get a consistent bore size I can order 15 to 20 20' lenghts for about the same price that I can order 5 or 6..
The more you buy the better price you get.

Last edited:

black dog

Free America
Good point. Pain is that they are only open 8-4 and out of my commute path, but CWS is coming :)

If you call them and pay with a CC, they will leave it on the sidewalk out back..
It's a very popular thing to do there and Three Mules.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
We get metal deliveries often. Have a fair bit of aluminum in stock but much larger diameter and wall thickness than what I'm guessing you are looking for. We build a lot of ultra light aluminum dredging rigs. Let me know what size tubing...

glhs837

Power with Control
We get metal deliveries often. Have a fair bit of aluminum in stock but much larger diameter and wall thickness than what I'm guessing you are looking for. We build a lot of ultra light aluminum dredging rigs. Let me know what size tubing...

Yeah, one inch ID to slip over the existing one inch towbar, wall thickness, nothing too crazy, given the light load.

glhs837

Power with Control
It's not a high load, high stress thing, I'd be looking at schedule 80 PVC pipe. Lighter too.

I know, I just hate to use plastic pipe. Looks like conduit will be my best choice. I suppose hitting it with some plasctic specific silver paint might lessen the glaring ugliness of it :) Looks like I can get a 10 foot section of 1 inch with a belled end that should slide right over the aluminum for about $4. I can get two of those, cut them down to splice in the middle so I'm belled on both ends. But it only shows in Schedule 40, but that should still be strong enough, I would think. Not a high load application.

black dog

Free America
If worried about the load and flex with plastic slide a piece of wood inside of it.
Like a broom stick...