Trump travel drains Secret Service budget

seven

The US Secret Service is facing a strain on its budget due in part to President Donald Trump's large family and multiple properties.

Secret Service Director Randolph "Tex" Alles said some 1,100 agents will hit their overtime allowance caps for the year.

Under Mr Trump, 42 people receive protection, an increase from 31 people during the Obama administration.

The Secret Service said it struggled with a "similar situation" last year.

Among those currently protected are 18 members of the Trump family, who have required security on international business trips to promote Trump properties as well as family holidays.

Some of the bills, according to the USA Today report, include:

*Estimated $3m per visit to Mr Trump's Mar-a-Lago golf resort in Florida
*Some $60,000 on golf cart rentals at both Mar-a-Lago and his Bedminster, New Jersey, golf club
*Nearly $100,000 on hotels to protect the president's son, Eric Trump, during a business trip he took to Uruguay

Other trips requiring security included visits in February by both Eric Trump and Donald Trump Jr to Vancouver, British Columbia, to open a new Trump hotel there, and to Dubai for the opening of a Trump International Golf Club.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41005868

hotbikermama40

The US Secret Service is facing a strain on its budget due in part to President Donald Trump's large family and multiple properties.

Secret Service Director Randolph "Tex" Alles said some 1,100 agents will hit their overtime allowance caps for the year.

Under Mr Trump, 42 people receive protection, an increase from 31 people during the Obama administration.

The Secret Service said it struggled with a "similar situation" last year.

Among those currently protected are 18 members of the Trump family, who have required security on international business trips to promote Trump properties as well as family holidays.

Some of the bills, according to the USA Today report, include:

*Estimated $3m per visit to Mr Trump's Mar-a-Lago golf resort in Florida
*Some $60,000 on golf cart rentals at both Mar-a-Lago and his Bedminster, New Jersey, golf club
*Nearly $100,000 on hotels to protect the president's son, Eric Trump, during a business trip he took to Uruguay

Other trips requiring security included visits in February by both Eric Trump and Donald Trump Jr to Vancouver, British Columbia, to open a new Trump hotel there, and to Dubai for the opening of a Trump International Golf Club.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41005868

According to the SS Director:
"The Secret Service has the funding it needs to meet all current mission
requirements for the remainder of the fiscal year and compensate
employees for overtime within statutory pay caps."

The MSM sources you've cited, as well as many others, have also conveniently left out the fact that the SS funding/salary issue has been an ongoing problem for quite awhile now:
"This issue is not one that can be attributed to the current Administration’s
protection requirements alone, but rather has been an ongoing issue for
nearly a decade due to an overall increase in operational tempo.”

It's not a long memo, so you shouldn't have a difficult time reading it (and that's not an insult, just a general truth for anyone):

https://www.secretservice.gov/data/...-AUG/GPA_29-17_Max_Out_Director_Statement.pdf

seven

According to the SS Director:

The MSM sources you've cited, as well as many others, have also conveniently left out the fact that the SS funding/salary issue has been an ongoing problem for quite awhile now:

It's not a long memo, so you shouldn't have a difficult time reading it (and that's not an insult, just a general truth for anyone):

https://www.secretservice.gov/data/...-AUG/GPA_29-17_Max_Out_Director_Statement.pdf

$60,000 on golf cart rentals

smdh

hotbikermama40

$60,000 on golf cart rentals

smdh

non-essential entertainment and luxury items are nothing new to the White House for the sitting President and his family, so who cares about golf carts? hell, the Obama dog's handler (for Bo, not Michelle) cost over 100,000 dollars a year. And can you imagine the cost of 24/7 projection staff to man equipment in the White House theater the Obama's had, so whenever they felt like catching a movie, they could just pop on in there?

seven

non-essential entertainment and luxury items are nothing new to the White House for the sitting President and his family, so who cares about golf carts? hell, the Obama dog's handler (for Bo, not Michelle) cost over 100,000 dollars a year. And can you imagine the cost of 24/7 projection staff to man equipment in the White House theater the Obama's had, so whenever they felt like catching a movie, they could just pop on in there?

Ohhhh. Bless your heart.

So. After 4 years it will be a half mill in golf carts.! Golf Carts!

Just because Obama may have had excessive spending on stupid #### doesn't mean the Donald should too.

Mr. Never leave the WH

smdh

hotbikermama40

Ohhhh. Bless your heart.

So. After 4 years it will be a half mill in golf carts.! Golf Carts!

Just because Obama may have had excessive spending on stupid #### doesn't mean the Donald should too.

Mr. Never leave the WH

smdh

You seem to be adamantly refusing to see the point. You started this thread citing sources to claim that because of Trump the SS is out of money. I showed you a memo from the SS Director published today that refutes that quite clearly.

Now you just want to argue over what lavish expenses the current President has vs. former and which is more "stupid" of the stupid ####?

smdh, indeed

seven

You seem to be adamantly refusing to see the point. You started this thread citing sources to claim that because of Trump the SS is out of money. I showed you a memo from the SS Director published today that refutes that quite clearly.

Now you just want to argue over what lavish expenses the current President has vs. former and which is more "stupid" of the stupid ####?

smdh, indeed

You brought up the former.

And nowhere does it say they are out of money.

Reading Comprehension.

:coffee:

Last edited:

hotbikermama40

You brought up the former.

And nowhere does it say they are out of money.

Reading Comprehension.

:coffee:

Oh - my apologies - running out of money. :sarcasm:

What I brought up is what is stated in the Director's memo: that running out of money has been an issue for nearly a decade. Your response was to mention Trump's golf carts??? :rolleyes: Most of you libtards like to forget that he is conducting meetings and not only golfing...but whatever.

So why not just admit that I've got a valid point? Is it because the reality is too much for ya? The reality that for the majority of the aforementioned past "nearly a decade" it wasn't Trump in office spending money on crazy expensive ####, was it? Here's some more reality for you: it was #44 who signed the bill providing SS for former Presidents for life. What an amazing thing he did...for himself...https://www.aol.com/article/news/20...et-former-president-obama-vacations/23005366/

Hijinx

Oh - my apologies - running out of money. :sarcasm:

What I brought up is what is stated in the Director's memo: that running out of money has been an issue for nearly a decade. Your response was to mention Trump's golf carts??? :rolleyes: Most of you libtards like to forget that he is conducting meetings and not only golfing...but whatever.

So why not just admit that I've got a valid point? Is it because the reality is too much for ya? The reality that for the majority of the aforementioned past "nearly a decade" it wasn't Trump in office spending money on crazy expensive ####, was it? Here's some more reality for you: it was #44 who signed the bill providing SS for former Presidents for life. What an amazing thing he did...for himself...https://www.aol.com/article/news/20...et-former-president-obama-vacations/23005366/

Running out of money for the Government has never been a problem, they just print more like they have always done.
Did you hear about Trump's Cash for Clunkers.?? When the battery runs dead on your golf cart you get cash for it towards a new one,
But they have to put sand in the motors of the old ones.

I think he got the idea from Obama.

hotbikermama40

Running out of money for the Government has never been a problem, they just print more like they have always done.
Did you hear about Trump's Cash for Clunkers.?? When the battery runs dead on your golf cart you get cash for it towards a new one,
But they have to put sand in the motors of the old ones.

I think he got the idea from Obama.

*snort* :drummer: ba-dum-tshhh

This_person

So, we have duality in hypocrisy.

Trump said he wouldn't do it, was critical of Obama for doing it, and does it himself. Hypocritical.

The left had zero problem with Obama doing it, but huge problem with Trump doing it. Hypocritical.

In the end, the 30% of us who pay the vast majority of taxes are the only ones hurt.

littlelady

God bless the USA

Trump said he wouldn't do it, was critical of Obama for doing it, and does it himself. Hypocritical.

The left had zero problem with Obama doing it, but huge problem with Trump doing it. Hypocritical.

In the end, the 30% of us who pay the vast majority of taxes are the only ones hurt.

I know it is disgusting. It is the nature of the Beast, no matter who is in control, or not.

Last edited:

Hijinx

Nothing new about that either.

This_person

Nothing new about that either.

I agree with you and LL on this (obviously).

My point was more along the lines of, "while A is calling B a hypocrite, and B is saying 'nuh uh, YOU are", we, the people, are paying attention to THAT fight instead of saying, "why are we paying so damned much money to one person and his/her family to vacation instead of treating them like any other government employee?" I mean, if they want to go on vacation, of course they can. Turn over the presidency temporarily to the VP, and GO. If the CO of a ship goes on vacation, someone fills in. When the CO is asleep, there are officers who are deemed capable of handling the day-to-day. Why is the president (head of one branch) any different from Speaker and President Pro-Tempore (heads of another branch) or Chief Justice (head of the last branch)?

When we challenge our government, we need to be asking the right questions.

Hijinx

I agree with you and LL on this (obviously).

My point was more along the lines of, "while A is calling B a hypocrite, and B is saying 'nuh uh, YOU are", we, the people, are paying attention to THAT fight instead of saying, "why are we paying so damned much money to one person and his/her family to vacation instead of treating them like any other government employee?" I mean, if they want to go on vacation, of course they can. Turn over the presidency temporarily to the VP, and GO. If the CO of a ship goes on vacation, someone fills in. When the CO is asleep, there are officers who are deemed capable of handling the day-to-day. Why is the president (head of one branch) any different from Speaker and President Pro-Tempore (heads of another branch) or Chief Justice (head of the last branch)?

When we challenge our government, we need to be asking the right questions.

To be perfectly honest the Trump clan of relatives can afford their own protection.
The Secret Service should not have to protect the whole clan.

Now it wasn't Trump who came up with this idea that the whole clan needed secret service protection, that started a long time go, But it's gone a bit far.
It needs some trimming./

This_person

To be perfectly honest the Trump clan of relatives can afford their own protection.

Now it wasn't Trump who came up with this idea that the whole clan needed secret service protection, that started a long time go, But it's gone a bit far.
It needs some trimming./

Again, I feel like the point is being missed. I don't care if he is rich or poor, male or female, white or red or brown or yellow or black or green, first or second term, etc., etc. The position deserves protection, and I agree with that (to a point), and the holder of the position deserves the compensation of the position.

My point is that we do not need to protect him 24/7. We have already declared past presidents are not deserving of protection. We already have a succession plan if something happens to the president. There is NO reasonable justification for turning the president into a king the way we have been doing slowly over the last many decades. He needs NO protection on vacation, nor does his adult family. If one suggests that just what he knows would make him a target while on vacation, I would ask if we provide the exact same protection to the head of the CIA/FBI, etc. We don't. Why him?

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL

It needs some trimming./

Past president's should be the one to have the secret service trimmed...Not just Obama but all of them. If current President no family should be protected also. Past President's they should start to cut back.