Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CNO Responds

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    Not the same.. I'm not talking about navigating with something other than GPS.That used to be the norm, but the norm now is GPS navigation and GPS based systems, to include auto pilot, auto navigation..

Operating a boat or plane that is dependent on GPS in a GPS denial area, you may not even realize you don't have GPS until you run aground or run into something..
    My understanding of GPS denial would be boating near shore and or with overhead obstructions that would block gps signals used to navigate.

I was taught to dead reckon. Off shore every few hours mark the charts, inshore by visual landmarks, bouys, markers and so on. Mark the chart or book that you are using to navigate.
    Most of my offshore sailing was done using a windvane for self steering.
    My micrologic loran and GPS do not intergrade with either of my my auto pilots. Nor do I have a GPS chart plotter.
    I will upgrade in the next few years before the next adventure off shore.

If I lost GPS off shore I would know within 25 or 30 miles and I would not really be hindered much at all. That's what a sextant is for.
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

There is a thing as GPS jamming.

Blog Entries
    Theres a lot here to talk about.. but if you search FAA NexGen AirTraffic Control GPS jamming it should lead you to a test of a cigarette box sized jammer. it was all of one watt in strength, and sent cargo ships unknowingly off course until their GPS was restored and the alarms started going off..

FAA discovered the issue when a truck driver kept regularly driving by their GPS based ATC system with a jammer on board...

Its pretty eye opening.. for one they had no idea how widespread a VERY small jammer can deny or JAM GPS..

Not even talking about Spoofing GPS
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    Yes, I used to move boats up and down the east coast in my youth during my vacations, All loran and visual waypoints.
    I did my circumnavigation with a sextant and I would update ( correct when necessary ) my chart when I could get a position on GPS then.
    ..no RDF? We probably relied on that device more than any other. Had all the stations marked on our charts for rapid location plots.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Not sure why GPS would matter when it's the radar systems that generate various levels of collision warnings and alarms. The commercial vessels also have very specifically defined IMO compliant automated collision avoidance systems.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    ..no RDF? We probably relied on that device more than any other. Had all the stations marked on our charts for rapid location plots.
    I've never used one. I've seen them on boats in the past, that's about it.
    Was Loran available where you used it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Not sure why GPS would matter when it's the radar systems that generate various levels of collision warnings and alarms. The commercial vessels also have very specifically defined IMO compliant automated collision avoidance systems.
    That was my avoidance system ( another set of eyes ) when I wasn't on deck, radar alarm goes off at preset 20 mile guard range, pick up microphone and hail other boat / ship with a quick conversation...

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    I've never used one. I've seen them on boats in the past, that's about it.
    Was Loran available where you used it ?
    It was but we never bought one for the old cruiser I'm referring to. We had the RDF box (one with big rotary dial on top that housed the antenna, with pointer to bearing scale) and we had a visual bearing device..called a polaris if I recall correctly.

Lurking in the background in flat, humid Fl
    Comseventhfleet is to be relieved of duty, but we already knew that. His replacement was named a few months ago. Just a little earlier than expected. His relief, ADM Sawyer, was nominated for the position in May.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/08/22...n-pacific.html

Heads, and careers, have to roll when at least 17 sailors die/drown in their berthing/work compartments.
    “The truth will set you free, but first it will make you miserable.” - President James A. Garfield

Quote Originally Posted by DoWhat View Post
    There is a thing as GPS jamming.
    With a small amount of gear, electronic blackout is possible. AF crews used to train for that contingency. Is that a novel approach for the Navy?
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.

Members who have read this thread: 72