Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CNO Responds

CNO Responds

There are only two possibilities; one is that we are alone in the universe, the other is that we are not.
    Both are terrifying.

Blog Entries
    Someone mentioned that sailors that grew up in the stress card days are now in senior leadership in the Navy. With multiple people standing watch on the bridge, coupled with state of the art electronics, it's hard to fathom collisions at sea being random occurrences.
    "Is Uncle Monello homeless?"

Monello thinks he is king of the forum, now. Just keep that in mind.
    What bad thing did you do?

Lurking in the background in flat, humid Fl
    The new snowflake Navy?

Sad state of affairs in the Navy, for sure. Seamanship, rules of the road, proper vessel handling and navigation seem to be a thing of the past.
    Last edited by b23hqb; 08-22-2017 at 04:43 PM.
    “The truth will set you free, but first it will make you miserable.” - President James A. Garfield

Quote Originally Posted by Monello View Post
    Someone mentioned that sailors that grew up in the stress card days are now in senior leadership in the Navy. With multiple people standing watch on the bridge, coupled with state of the art electronics, it's hard to fathom collisions at sea being random occurrences.
    I'm hearing talk of a steering system failure, which is feasible. I'm also hearing talk of false GPS signals sent to either/or/both the Navy ship and commercial vessel - almost as if this was a continuing test of that capability.

Where was the McCain? Well, just a couple of days earlier it passed within 12 miles of one of the artificial islands China made; a "freedom of navigation" pass designed to piss China off. It did, and suddenly the same ship is hit? Seems awfully coincidental, doesn't it?
    There are only two possibilities; one is that we are alone in the universe, the other is that we are not.
    Both are terrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by Monello View Post
    It's really hard to understand, I have over 30,000 miles solo in a sailboat and most of that was done in 92. I only had maybe 8 hours a day with working GPS satellites at that time along with $hit demarcation and a 20 mile radar. No one ran over me nor did I hit any other ships. I just don't get it..
    Gross tonnage always wins..
    Proud to be a cereal comma user.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    It's really hard to understand, I have over 30,000 miles solo in a sailboat and most of that was done in 92. I only had maybe 8 hours a day with working GPS satellites at that time along with $hit demarcation and a 20 mile radar. No one ran over me nor did I hit any other ships. I just don't get it..
    Gross tonnage always wins..
    ever navigate in a GPS denial environment?
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

Yes, I used to move boats up and down the east coast in my youth during my vacations, All loran and visual waypoints.
    I did my circumnavigation with a sextant and I would update ( correct when necessary ) my chart when I could get a position on GPS then.
    Proud to be a cereal comma user.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    Yes, I used to move boats up and down the east coast in my youth during my vacations, All loran and visual waypoints.
    I did my circumnavigation with a sextant and I would update ( correct when necessary ) my chart when I could get a position on GPS then.
    Not the same.. I'm not talking about navigating with something other than GPS.That used to be the norm, but the norm now is GPS navigation and GPS based systems, to include auto pilot, auto navigation..

Operating a boat or plane that is dependent on GPS in a GPS denial area, you may not even realize you don't have GPS until you run aground or run into something..
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    Not the same.. I'm not talking about navigating with something other than GPS.That used to be the norm, but the norm now is GPS navigation and GPS based systems, to include auto pilot, auto navigation..

Operating a boat or plane that is dependent on GPS in a GPS denial area, you may not even realize you don't have GPS until you run aground or run into something..
    I doubt that the steering system of a major USN vessel is singularly dependent on GPS. Unless the evildoer also hacked into the ships radar, gyro compass and disabled everyones binoculars, I dont see how a cyberattack would cause ships to bump into each other.

Man, I'm still here !!!
    Pretty hard to miss a BIG Phucking tanker, deck watches doing nothing, picking their nose, playing apps on their iphones, no comms to bridge, WTF!!!! We're looking like a joke.

Members who have read this thread: 72