Civil War Reenactment Cancelled For Safety Reasons

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Civil War Reenactment Cancelled For Safety Reasons
"We can't even have a Civil War themed event"

Following the horrible incident in Charlottesville recently, which left one woman dead when a white nationalist plowed a car into a crowd of protesters, divisions have erupted across the country over the removal of Confederate monuments. Rather than have a healthy debate over the issue, leftist marauders, some of whom are card-carrying Marxists who support North Korea, have either vandalized or removed statues, entirely in violation of the law.

However, Civil War reenactments have nothing to do with the reverence associated with public statues, and have always been about historical theater. Schools even take their students on field trips to such events. Matt Walsh of The Blaze described the family-friendly atmosphere present at this particular reenactment and his disappointment that the city council would capitulate to such political correctness.

My sister was looking forward to bringing her kids to the Civil War weekend in Manassas. They have reenactments, wagon rides, costume balls, battlefield tours, etc. It's a fun, educational event for the whole family. Or it was, anyway. Apparently the city has canceled the annual festival due to "safety concerns."

This is insane. After 150 years, suddenly we can't even have a Civil War themed event or Civil War battlefield tours. Suddenly any mention of the Civil War may provoke violent outrage. AFTER 150 YEARS. Why should the Civil War be a more sensitive subject for us than it was for our great grandparents? How has it become MORE contentious after a century and a half?

Wishbone

I say invite ANTIFA to the event and Union and Confederate alike load with Maxi-balls and ally with one another. :yay:

I'll pay to watch that.

"See that there ANTIFA NAZI son... That ones got a triangular bayonet wound! Those don't stitch up so easily."

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
It's never made any difference to me that they exist, but I have never seen the real entertainment in these events. It was a horrific time in our history - why do they want to relive it all the time? :ohwell:

Is it like watching reruns of a movie? :confused:

Wishbone

It's never made any difference to me that they exist, but I have never seen the real entertainment in these events. It was a horrific time in our history - why do they want to relive it all the time? :ohwell:

Actually seeing one of the reenactments gives you a clear visual of just why some of these battles and skirmishes were so bloody and deadly.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
For many, participating in such reenactment events has been a lifelong hobby and the highlight of every year. This country is a mess.

Hijinx

I don't call Ballet or the Opera entertainment either, but a lot of people enjoy it.
Diff'rent strokes and all that.