Grits! mmmmmmmmm....

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Just made a heaping bowl of grits. Twenty minutes, minimum of fuss and mess - a meal worthy to carry you on for the rest of the afternoon. Toss in about 8 slices of bacon - brunch for champions!

:yahoo:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
The best grits I have ever had were down in Georgia at some restaurant near Callaway Gardens. They are called red speckled grits and they were to die for!

Used to order them from someplace years ago so I could have them here, but don't remember where from now. :doh:

Just made a heaping bowl of grits. Twenty minutes, minimum of fuss and mess - a meal worthy to carry you on for the rest of the afternoon. Toss in about 8 slices of bacon - brunch for champions!

:yahoo:

With your heart issues???

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't eat grits. That's KKK food.

Ha ha, kidding. I'm a grits person but I don't like them sweet. I like them as a layer beneath fried eggs and sausage. I do it in my dolsot bowl so the grits get a lovely crusty going on, then add the sausage patties and fried eggs on top. I like it that way with steel cut oats, too. Bowls of love. Mmmmm....

Wishbone

Yeah... I never got the sugar thing either.

Butter, salt and pepper. :yay:

The one southern thing I could never get used to was sausage gravy and biscuits.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The one southern thing I could never get used to was sausage gravy and biscuits.

I make amazing sausage gravy and that's what my kids always ask for when I visit them. I'm not a biscuit person so I like my gravy over scrambled eggs.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
With your heart issues???

Yup. Just no salt. Grits were on my good to eat list during my hospital stays, as long as I had no salt and used unsalted butter. Still great tasting. The bacon has low sodium that falls into my allowable amount on a low sodium diet. Cholesterol has never been a problem - my arteries are as clean and open as an athletic 30 year old, or so says my cardiologists.

Wishbone

I make amazing sausage gravy and that's what my kids always ask for when I visit them. I'm not a biscuit person so I like my gravy over scrambled eggs.

Someone made that for me once and insisted I'd like it. I'll admit, it was good.

Just not really something I have a hankering for when I'm contemplating breakfast.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Someone made that for me once and insisted I'd like it. I'll admit, it was good.

Just not really something I have a hankering for when I'm contemplating breakfast.

It's a heart attack on a plate. But, as my son says, "You gotta die of something, right?"

Wishbone

Think I read somewhere that you should be able to make love for as long as it takes to cook grits.

Thank heaven's for Instant! :jet:

b23hqb

PREMO Member
It only takes me 5 minutes to cook grits.

*I'm a fast cook, I guess.

Gambini: Well perhaps the laws of physics cease to exist on your stove! Were these magic grits? I mean, did you buy them from the same guy who sold Jack his beanstalk beans?!

:lmao: I guess the laws of physics are different on your stove, eh? I love that movie.

Last edited: