Generator Question

Hessian

I have a brand new Generac PROPANE portable generator. I assembled the roller kit for it, stored it,...never started it.

That was three years ago.

Now, since it won't start,...I took it up to Kelly's in Sunderland (they don't work on small units)
I took it to Matteson's in PF....he doesn't do propane.
I took it to Jimmie's in PF...they don't do propane.

NONE could tell me of a single place that would check the spark & wiring.
SO,...lets talk St Mary's or Charles: WHO in either county would be willing to look over, tinker, and start my propane generac generator?

Any recommendations?

Are you at all handy? Before spending some money, pull and check the air filter and intakes. Not uncommon to get spider webs in there which will kill a propane unit.

Hessian

Pulled filter, sprayed starter(?) fluid (they said never use ether)...still not a puff. :-(

Last edited:

nutz

Backwoods - 13460 Ryceville Rd., Mechanicsville

Did you ever fill the propane tank? :shrug:

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
Spark check is easy. Remove lead, remove plug. Put plug back in lead, rest against metal part of engine. Crank over, you will easily see if there is spark or not. You could also do it by feel, but not recommended:)

Chris0nllyn

Kelly's is a Generac dealer. They couldn't even tell you where to find someone to work on it? Sheesh.

231 Farm Center in Prince Frederick (Calvert) in the Industrial Park is a Generac authorized portable generator service dealer. Maybe give them a call.
http://www.generac.com/dealer-locator

Outside of them, Tri State Marine in Deale is also a dealer. Along with Gateway Power in King George.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I bet Dave's Small Engine (Loveville) wouldn't hesitate to get it sorted out for you. There isn't much they won't or can't fix.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Pulled filter, sprayed brake fluid (they said never use ether)...still not a puff. :-(

brake fluid?? Never heard of that one. And how does one spray brake fluid? And I'm not sure who "they" is but a sniff of starting fluid is the easiest way to determine whether any gasoline or propane engine has a fuel delivery problem or a spark problem.
What engine make?

Last edited:

black dog

Free America
I bet Dave's Small Engine (Loveville) wouldn't hesitate to get it sorted out for you. There isn't much they won't or can't fix.

That's where I would take it, for Yoder's they sure are Honda wizards.
Call them to see if they will look at it, maybe write them a letter would be better.

black dog

Free America
brake fluid?? Never heard of that one. And how does one spray brake fluid? And I'm not sure who "they" is but a sniff of starting fluid is the easiest way to determine whether any gasoline or propane engine has a fuel delivery problem or a spark problem.
What engine make?

Yep, just a wiff... Don't do a forged piston test.

Hessian

What engine make?

Gilligan--I miswrote. My bad. It was,...another flammable. Its a 212 ci Generac

Hessian

Kelly's is a Generac dealer. They couldn't even tell you where to find someone to work on it? Sheesh.

231 Farm Center in Prince Frederick (Calvert) in the Industrial Park is a Generac authorized portable generator service dealer. Maybe give them a call.
http://www.generac.com/dealer-locator

Outside of them, Tri State Marine in Deale is also a dealer. Along with Gateway Power in King George.

Darn it,...I had forgotten about seeing the sign over on the 231. Will call them tomorrow--Thanks.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Yep, just a wiff... Don't do a forged piston test.

Somewhere I have a video of a radically built Jeep competing in an offroad obstacle course racing event..hood up..heading for the finish line in "bursts", the spotter (passenger) sitting astride the engine compartment, spraying starting fluid in the intake whilst the driver hung out the side so he could see were to steer.

They made it. You actually can run an engine on starting fluid alone... ;-)