Sheetz no longer open 24 hours on the weekends

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I saw signs posted on the doors of both the one on GM Road and the one at Chancellor's Run Road that they will be closed from 1:45 am to 3:00 am Saturday and Sunday mornings (late Friday and Saturday evening).

Sounds like Sheetz got tired of the late night drunken crowds and trouble, and I don't blame them.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Wouldn't surprise me if they expand that a bit when they get tired of robbery.

I am sure robbery and shoplifting are major factors that could lead to further reduced hours.

There was really a gathering of drunks at the one on Chancellors?

I was wondering the same thing as I saw the signs first at the one on GM Road and thought it was only that store. But I stopped in the other one yesterday and saw the same ones. Maybe just preventative medicine? :shrug:

TWL

Kernel panic: Aiee.......
The GMR Sheetz had closed on Saturdays during that time for years.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There was really a gathering of drunks at the one on Chancellors?

Yes. My house was right down the street from it and I used to go there all the time, sometimes in the middle of the night for cigarettes or food or a fountain drink. It was a freak convention in there and many times the drunks were belligerent and menacing, not safe for the employees, let alone the customers. They'd be out in the parking lot bothering people, fist fighting, cussing and being jerks, trying to hit people up for money.

Wawa on Rt 4 and 235 gets a late night freak show as well.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
The GMR Sheetz had closed on Saturdays during that time for years.

I have been going to that one regularly for the past year and a couple of weeks ago was the first time I ever saw signs posted about it. :shrug:

DEEKAYPEE8569

Put a plain-clothes cop in there; that crap stops.....or will, eventually.

Edit: Never mind. SMC can't afford to do that.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Put a plain-clothes cop in there; that crap stops.....or will, eventually.

Edit: Never mind. SMC can't afford to do that.

It's been a few years, but I seem to remember always seeing a Sheriff's patrol car in the GMR Sheetz parking lot after midnight. It was like they were using Sheetz as a staging point for running calls in the area.

DEEKAYPEE8569

It's been a few years, but I seem to remember always seeing a Sheriff's patrol car in the GMR Sheetz parking lot after midnight. It was like they were using Sheetz as a staging point for running calls in the area.
Thus defeating the reason they should be there between, say, Midnight and 6 a.m..

PeoplesElbow

Back home a restaurant that had occasional teenager problems decided that all cops eat free (was a buffet) there were always 3-4-5 cop cars in the parking lot and they never had a problem again.

Some of the cops made pigs (no pun intended) of themselves though but really food is cheap for a buffet.

Sheetz/WaWa only has to say free coffee, donuts, and subs for all police and I bet they would keep that stuff from happening.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Back home a restaurant that had occasional teenager problems decided that all cops eat free (was a buffet) there were always 3-4-5 cop cars in the parking lot and they never had a problem again.

Some of the cops made pigs (no pun intended) of themselves though but really food is cheap for a buffet.

Sheetz/WaWa only has to say free coffee, donuts, and subs for all police and I bet they would keep that stuff from happening.
As stereotypical as that may sound to some folks, it could work.

BernieP

Resident PIA
It could also be temporary. Wa Wa periodically does closures like that to do "tech refreshes".
Maybe Wa Wa just provides more information to the public.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

At Bambino's Terry gave all cops, firefighters, and EMTs half off, so we typically had a ton of them hanging around. But honestly, between Terry and his waitresses, all of whom would happily kick your ass for you as a floorshow, I don't recall anyone being troublesome in there.

3CATSAILOR

I saw signs posted on the doors of both the one on GM Road and the one at Chancellor's Run Road that they will be closed from 1:45 am to 3:00 am Saturday and Sunday mornings (late Friday and Saturday evening).

Sounds like Sheetz got tired of the late night drunken crowds and trouble, and I don't blame them.

So they have an increase of police in LP City with the COPS unit and it still isn't enough. If it was enough, they wouldn't need to close early to protect themselves. When businesses have to close early to protect themselves from an increase of crime, this talks volumes about how protected they feel they are.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So they have an increase of police in LP City with the COPS unit and it still isn't enough. If it was enough, they wouldn't need to close early to protect themselves. When businesses have to close early to protect themselves from an increase of crime, this talks volumes about how protected they feel they are.

What they really need to do is lock up the criminals and keep them locked up. Look up pretty much any perp in the news and you'll see this ain't their first rodeo. Some judge let them walk with a spankie for their last crime(s), and now they're right back at it. I'm not sure why the people of SoMD put up with this crap.