Deuteronomy 28 Plagues

seekeroftruth

Deuteronomy 28:58 If you do not carefully follow all the words of this law, which are written in this book, and do not revere this glorious and awesome name—the Lord your God— 59 the Lord will send fearful plagues on you and your descendants, harsh and prolonged disasters, and severe and lingering illnesses. 60 He will bring on you all the diseases of Egypt that you dreaded, and they will cling to you. 61 The Lord will also bring on you every kind of sickness and disaster not recorded in this Book of the Law, until you are destroyed. 62 You who were as numerous as the stars in the sky will be left but few in number, because you did not obey the Lord your God. 63 Just as it pleased the Lord to make you prosper and increase in number, so it will please him to ruin and destroy you. You will be uprooted from the land you are entering to possess.​

I will be glad when I am done reading these curses. I yearn to go back to the days when I could read, post, feel good, and go on with the day. There seems to be nothing to feel good about in these verses.

Moses was retaining and dispersing the law as God was dictating it. They didn't have twitter or instagram to spread the word. They didn't have universities full of lawyers or a Supreme Court to discuss the laws. They didn't even have books.... most of them didn't read so law books, even in the simplest wording, would be useless. They had Judges. Let's face it though.... humans can come up with all kinds of ways to twist and tweak the law to make it fit their vision of things.

How in the world would these people know the law and follow it when they couldn't read? I mean some of these laws are pretty explicit.... even down to the type of animal they sacrificed for each event. Thankfully, there was even a law to determine what sacrifice to make when you might have forgotten something. How was Moses going to get the law to the people in a way that they could understand it?

God told Moses to warn them that God would bring that the Plagues He used in Egypt. These people didn't remember Egypt. The people who remembered what happened in Egypt had joined ranks against Moses because they were afraid of the giants who lived in Canaan at the time. The Israelites who were going to go up on the mountain tops around Shechem were too young to remember why they left Egypt in the first place let alone remembering the plagues that God used to destroy Pharaoh.

If you were to participate in an event where over two million people gathered on two mountain tops yelling blessings and curses at each other, do you think you would remember the event? I would.... that would be right up there with going to the World's Fair in New York, City back in 1964. It's memorable because of the scale of the event.

God said behave or else..... There are two more chapters of "or else" to go through.

:coffee: