Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 180

Thread: Where's the "fire and fury"?

  1. #41
    Oldtimer Ken King's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Up the hill and down the holler
    Posts
    14,759
    Quote Originally Posted by This_person View Post
    Threats against the United States. While we have bases in Japan, that's not a threat directly against the United States.
    Actually, an attack upon our service members, at home or abroad, would be a direct threat and would authorize the Executive to immediately use military force.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    You can play that game if you want.
    We did it with Obama didn't we? That 'line in the sand' bit?
    "Never let the old man in." - Clint Eastwood quoting an old friend

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by PsyOps View Post
    We did it with Obama didn't we? That 'line in the sand' bit?
    And then the line was crossed and Barry did nothing. We'll see what happens when it gets crossed - if it gets crossed - this time around.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken King View Post
    Actually, an attack upon our service members, at home or abroad, would be a direct threat and would authorize the Executive to immediately use military force.
    I agree. Was this aimed directly at US troops? Was it even aimed? Was it even really a threat?
    There are only two possibilities; one is that we are alone in the universe, the other is that we are not.
    Both are terrifying.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    And then the line was crossed and Barry did nothing. We'll see what happens when it gets crossed - if it gets crossed - this time around.
    :this:
    There are only two possibilities; one is that we are alone in the universe, the other is that we are not.
    Both are terrifying.

  6. #46
    Oldtimer Ken King's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Up the hill and down the holler
    Posts
    14,759
    Quote Originally Posted by This_person View Post
    I agree. Was this aimed directly at US troops? Was it even aimed? Was it even really a threat?
    Didn't speak to this firing being a threat, just under the conditions the Executive can respond with military force. An overflight doesn't seem to be much of one.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by This_person View Post
    Threats against the United States. While we have bases in Japan, that's not a threat directly against the United States.

    I do not equate this to the Syrian red line, but it probably wasn't well advised. The good thing is that "fire and fury" can mean damned near anything, the bad thing is everyone knows what it is supposed to mean. If anything that can be perceived as a threat is given, we will look as stupid as we did when we didn't respond previously, and we have a hell of a lot of Dixie Chicks ready to sing to anyone who will listen how stupid we look.
    Not just "fire and fury", but "fire and fury, the like this world has never seen before". Now I don't know about you, but when I think of this kind of fire and fury, I think of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

    It's interesting how when the guy is on 'our' side, we tend to turn a blind eye to their words. And those were some pretty strong words.
    "Never let the old man in." - Clint Eastwood quoting an old friend

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by PsyOps View Post
    Not just "fire and fury", but "fire and fury, the like this world has never seen before". Now I don't know about you, but when I think of this kind of fire and fury, I think of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

    It's interesting how when the guy is on 'our' side, we tend to turn a blind eye to their words. And those were some pretty strong words.
    No, what is interesting is your stubborn refusal to face the fundamental fact of the matter: The fat crazy kid has not crossed the line yet.

    When did you become such a fan of massive military strikes by the US?
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by PsyOps View Post
    Not just "fire and fury", but "fire and fury, the like this world has never seen before". Now I don't know about you, but when I think of this kind of fire and fury, I think of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

    It's interesting how when the guy is on 'our' side, we tend to turn a blind eye to their words. And those were some pretty strong words.
    I'm not trying to parse his words, but I really don't think his "line in the sand" has been crossed yet. If it is, and he does nothing like Obama did with Syria, I will be right there with you.



    I'm just not there yet.
    There are only two possibilities; one is that we are alone in the universe, the other is that we are not.
    Both are terrifying.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    No, what is interesting is your stubborn refusal to face the fundamental fact of the matter: The fat crazy kid has not crossed the line yet.

    When did you become such a fan of massive military strikes by the US?
    Then what the hell is this?

    Next target Guam, North Korea says
    "Never let the old man in." - Clint Eastwood quoting an old friend

Members who have read this thread: 87

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |