Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Any recommendations for local surgeons/hospitals?

  1. #11
    Registered User Bean Machine's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2007
    Location
    SOMD
    Posts
    736
    I had Gall bladder removed last year with Dr. Samdani...went well with no issues at all...well there was 1. The only issue I had, with this being my first surgery, is that no one briefed me on how painful it is when you wake up in recovery! Pain relievers kicked in afterwards, but for about 10 minutes was very uncomfortable!!

  2. #12
    My 2 cents, ignore every recommendation you have read up until now.
    Talk to your primary care physician and the specialist. Let them recommend the surgeon, which will more or less dictate the hospital.
    Doctors, particularly the better specialists, know their limitations and that of other physicians in the area. Georgetown has some excellent surgeons and is also in the MedStar Health Care network, as is Washington Hospital Center.
    Your signature can not be longer than 100 characters - BS

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Has anyone had any personal experience with any of these surgeons?

    Dr. Samdani
    https://www.medstarhealth.org/doctor/dr-tushar-satish-samdani-md/#q={}

    Dr. Mahaffey
    https://www.medstarhealth.org/doctor/dr-w-michael-mahaffey-md/#q={}

    Any opinions on the the local hospitals in the tri-county area?

    It seems to me that St. Mary's was a good hospital until the board sold out to MedStar. Now it is just one big, overpriced bureaucracy.

    Always heard good things about Calvert and it seems that Charles would be good since they are part of the Univ. of Md. system. Is there any real point in shopping around---as difficult as they make it?

    Just my opinion as I am not familar with the above mentioned Doctors, but being that I am one of those people who get super anxious regarding surgeries I wanted to let you know that I have procedures /surgeries done at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore (friends in the medical field recommended this hospital) and I must say it was an absolutely wonderful experience both the Doctors and the Staff couldn't have been any better. I had to do a little research to find a Doctor at Mercy and believe me when I say it was well worth it. I can highly recommend the Doctors and the Hospital.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by BernieP View Post
    My 2 cents, ignore every recommendation you have read up until now.
    Talk to your primary care physician and the specialist. Let them recommend the surgeon, which will more or less dictate the hospital.
    Doctors, particularly the better specialists, know their limitations and that of other physicians in the area. Georgetown has some excellent surgeons and is also in the MedStar Health Care network, as is Washington Hospital Center.
    Often your local doc in SoMD will refer you to the surgeon within his system (eg medstar) whether that surgeon is the best one for you or not. For any kind of elective surgery you want to do your own research and anonymous recommendations from the internet can be part of that.

  5. #15
    Opinions are my own...
    Member Since
    Feb 2001
    Location
    So. Maryland
    Posts
    1,945
    Blog Entries
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by officeguy View Post
    Often your local doc in SoMD will refer you to the surgeon within his system (eg medstar) whether that surgeon is the best one for you or not. For any kind of elective surgery you want to do your own research and anonymous recommendations from the internet can be part of that.
    You hit the nail on the head. At MedStar (the only real provider in the area), they basically give you a printout of every MedStar doctor that practices in that field and its up to you to ennie-meenine-miny-moe.

    I had the 1st of 2 done Friday at St. Mary's with Dr. Tushar Samdani. The 2nd next week with same. My only gripe is with the hospital itself. I specifically asked the person who called to schedule HOW MUCH TOTAL TIME IS THIS GOING TO TAKE; FROM THE TIME I GET THERE TO THE TIME I LEAVE. 90 minutes was the answer and she told me what TIME THEY WANTED ME THERE at 0905. This is mainly because I am imposing on a friend to take me there and babysit me, per the hospital's requirements, and I wanted them to know exactly how much of their time I needed.

    Well, I get there before 0900 and go in pretty quickly, do the undress and answer the same questions I've already been asked 3 times before. I also double-check with the admitting nurse about they time. "They told me this whole thing is going to take about 90 minutes. Is that right?" "That sounds about right."

    1100 comes and I'm still sitting there freezing 2 hour later. I call the nurse and ask what time the procedure is scheduled for. 11:35. So, why did you ask me to get here 2.5 hours early and tell me the whole thing would take 90 minutes? Well, we have to admit you and ask the questions. Well back at ya, that took all of 15 minutes! Sometime after noon they finally roll me in. Keep in mind that this is a routine procedure that they said would actually last for about 15 minutes (Time in the op room, not recovery and all that).

    I asked her to go tell my friend what the realistic time schedule was since she had been expecting to leave 30 minutes ago. They never did.

    When they call to schedule next week's procedure, I am going to specifically ask what time the procedure is scheduled to start and I'll be there an hour before, regardless of what time they want me there.

    From what I've experienced, my conclusion is that the health care industry is a bit of a joke as far as consumerism goes. There is no real way to comparatively shop for a doctor other than anecdotal recommendations from other people and anonymous comments on the internet, if there even are any. The Medstar site lists customer ratings for the doctor, but they are cumulative, nothing more than xx out of 5 stars based on inputs from anonymous people. You can't even read any specific comments from any of the supposed people providing these ratings; maybe the whole thing is gamed.

    Then there is trying to find out what this stuff is going to cost. I asked the surgeon for a ball park estimate. He had no idea, he doesn't handle that part of the business. I asked his coordinator, she had no idea, told me to call my insurance company. I asked her why I would call them when her company is the service provider. Silence. Basically, you pay whatever they say it costs. End of story.

    A few years ago, I had planned to lose weight and go back to my righteous weight. I wanted to get a body density scan to determine by body fat ratio. The book I was reading said it should cost from $50-100 based on the author's personal experience. No way was I going to go in blind and then end up with a $2000 bill. So, I called MedStar to get a cost estimate. I had the exact medical name for the procedure. At first the operator sent me to billing. They told me I had the wrong dept. On the 3rd call I had to raise my voice to this same operator and make her listen to what I needed. I finally got to the right person after an hour or so. She knew exactly the procedure I wanted but couldn't find the price because there was more than one "CODE" for it. She promised to call me back the next day. I never heard from MedStar again.

    We need a Jeff Bezos to get in there and revolutionize the medical industry. We should be able to have an Amazon-like system to shop for doctors and do price comparison shopping for basic services. Unfortunately, there are too many barriers right now to allow the consumer to win. First of all, there is insufficient competition. I have NEVER SEEN my primary care physician because every time I call for an appointment, the 1st available date is 30 days away. Secondly, we have the insurance companies, and now the government, standing in between us and the providers. Too many people get their insurance provided free by their company or the government and this essentially destroys the free market system.

    </RANT>
    Last edited by David; 09-30-2017 at 02:29 PM.
    What are you going to do today to make the world a better place?

  6. #16
    You need more information. Answer depends on the surgery you need. There is a lot that can be done in county. However, find out if your surgery can be done laparoscopically. If so go where it can be performed. A hernia via laparoscopy is a breeze, via old fashion cut through your stomach muscles, not so much.

    Had a 5.5 hour surgery with the da Vinci surgery (robitic assisted laproscopy) and walked out of the hospital (GW Hosp Center) the next day with no pain. Had a standard hernia repair at St. Mary's years ago and pain for weeks. It took months to heal.

    So, depending on what you need carefully select the right hospital and surgeon.

    Good luck.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Popster View Post
    You need more information. Answer depends on the surgery you need. There is a lot that can be done in county. However, find out if your surgery can be done laparoscopically. If so go where it can be performed. A hernia via laparoscopy is a breeze, via old fashion cut through your stomach muscles, not so much.

    Had a 5.5 hour surgery with the da Vinci surgery (robitic assisted laproscopy) and walked out of the hospital (GW Hosp Center) the next day with no pain. Had a standard hernia repair at St. Mary's years ago and pain for weeks. It took months to heal.

    So, depending on what you need carefully select the right hospital and surgeon.

    Good luck.
    Wow. That is a huge difference in procedure. I am sure people will appreciate your post. Glad you are ok, and I know Hattie is, too!
    ​​Like I said. JMO, yo! - Roman
    If you ignore the trolls, they starve. - Wishbone

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Then there is trying to find out what this stuff is going to cost. I asked the surgeon for a ball park estimate. He had no idea, he doesn't handle that part of the business. I asked his coordinator, she had no idea, told me to call my insurance company. I asked her why I would call them when her company is the service provider. Silence. Basically, you pay whatever they say it costs. End of story.
    They were not wrong to refer you to your insurance. They should have given you the procedure code and your insurance should be able to tell you what it is going to cost. The way it works with medical bills is that the provider submits a moon number as 'charge' that has nothing to do with what it 'costs' to do the procedure. It may be $200, 400, 2000, it really doesn't matter. Once the procedure gets billed, the price gets adjusted based on the contract between the insurance/medicare and the provider. So unless it is an 'out of network' situation, the insurance company customer service are the only ones who can tell you A. what it will cost B. what your co-pay, co-insurance or deductible is going to be.

    A few years ago, I had planned to lose weight and go back to my righteous weight. I wanted to get a body density scan to determine by body fat ratio. The book I was reading said it should cost from $50-100 based on the author's personal experience. No way was I going to go in blind and then end up with a $2000 bill. So, I called MedStar to get a cost estimate. I had the exact medical name for the procedure. At first the operator sent me to billing. They told me I had the wrong dept. On the 3rd call I had to raise my voice to this same operator and make her listen to what I needed. I finally got to the right person after an hour or so. She knew exactly the procedure I wanted but couldn't find the price because there was more than one "CODE" for it. She promised to call me back the next day. I never heard from MedStar again.

    We need a Jeff Bezos to get in there and revolutionize the medical industry. We should be able to have an Amazon-like system to shop for doctors and do price comparison shopping for basic services. Unfortunately, there are too many barriers right now to allow the consumer to win. First of all, there is insufficient competition. I have NEVER SEEN my primary care physician because every time I call for an appointment, the 1st available date is 30 days away. Secondly, we have the insurance companies, and now the government, standing in between us and the providers. Too many people get their insurance provided free by their company or the government and this essentially destroys the free market system.

    </RANT>
    The underlined is your problem. If it wasn't for mandatory repricing by medicare and the system of insurance contracts, every provider could post a schedule of prices that everyone pays regardless of payor. You as the consumer would then be in a position to decide whether you want the $499 colonoscopy or whether you go with the guy who offers the $325 special.

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by officeguy View Post
    They were not wrong to refer you to your insurance. They should have given you the procedure code and your insurance should be able to tell you what it is going to cost. The way it works with medical bills is that the provider submits a moon number as 'charge' that has nothing to do with what it 'costs' to do the procedure. It may be $200, 400, 2000, it really doesn't matter. Once the procedure gets billed, the price gets adjusted based on the contract between the insurance/medicare and the provider. So unless it is an 'out of network' situation, the insurance company customer service are the only ones who can tell you A. what it will cost B. what your co-pay, co-insurance or deductible is going to be.



    The underlined is your problem. If it wasn't for mandatory repricing by medicare and the system of insurance contracts, every provider could post a schedule of prices that everyone pays regardless of payor. You as the consumer would then be in a position to decide whether you want the $499 colonoscopy or whether you go with the guy who offers the $325 special.
    You are way off. I say that because we are now under Obamacare, due to the fact that USBank does not insure x employees, anymore. Why? Because of Obamacare. We scrambled to get all our 'preventive' done before our insurance ended July31. We still got charged through the butt for what was supposed to be 'preventative'. Now, we are under true Obamacare and we chose the cheapest way out. We are healthy so only doing for catastrophic. We are paying 200/mo for nothing, with 16,000 deductible. And, the cheapest plan we chose was Kaiser Permante, and the closest docs are in Kensington, instead of right here in Olney. None of the docs in Olney take KP. What a bunch of crap. Go, Middle Class!
    ​​Like I said. JMO, yo! - Roman
    If you ignore the trolls, they starve. - Wishbone

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    You are way off. I say that because we are now under Obamacare, due to the fact that USBank does not insure x employees, anymore. Why? Because of Obamacare. We scrambled to get all our 'preventive' done before our insurance ended July31. We still got charged through the butt for what was supposed to be 'preventative'. Now, we are under true Obamacare and we chose the cheapest way out. We are healthy so only doing for catastrophic. We are paying 200/mo for nothing, with 16,000 deductible. And, the cheapest plan we chose was Kaiser Permante, and the closest docs are in Kensington, instead of right here in Olney. None of the docs in Olney take KP. What a bunch of crap. Go, Middle Class!
    What in the world are your rambling on about ? Nothing in your post addresses or disproves the points I made.
    Last edited by officeguy; 10-01-2017 at 10:03 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 106

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |