Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is SOMD rocks?

Man, I'm still here !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by LightRoasted View Post
    If I may ...

I don't know. But is pretty neat to collect them when found.
    I believe the point is to HIDE them again....

A few have been left on the ledge of my store lately. I was grateful for the mother whose son brought one inside; for continuously telling him not to throw it (cuz he was wanting to). Little brat -I was ready to take it away from him...

Anyways, I know of a couple businesses that have offered free stuff and or discounts if found and brought into their stores- though my store is not a participant in that promotion.

As a gesture of kindness and making a total stranger smile, I think it is a great idea. There is too much ugliness in this world.
    "It's nice to be important but it's also important to be nice."

I believe it started out as writing inspirational and positive messages on the rocks, and then someone would find it an be uplifted and hide the rock for someone else to find. Now it's morphed into drawing pictures and putting other random things on the rocks. Still a nice thought, but not really the original intent.
    Daily Thought: Some people are like slinkies--not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by zar View Post
    someone explain this to me

people must be really bored around here
    Cynical much?

http://thekindnessrocksproject.com/home

We got into this last week (me by accident). Family and I went to Brick for dinner and as we walked out, my 9 year old son said "Hey ..... it's one of those rocks!". I had no idea what he was talking about but my wife turned around and got all excited. Apparently they had seen it on Facebook and were well aware of what they were. I'd never heard of it. So he picked it up from under a bush at the front door and showed me a nicely painted blue rock (can't remember the design on it). We left and headed over to Walmart to get some things for the holiday weekend and stuck it under a bush in the parking lot. It was gone by the time we came back (30 mins).

Apparently Facebook has a page dedicated to these things and someone had commented (with picture) that they found it. And you could actually scroll back to see the history of this particular rock. It had been at the post office earlier that day. You could also see some of the other rocks and some of them are damn near artwork quality (beautiful backgrounds, SoMd themed pictures, etc.). Very well done.

Anyhow, as "meh" as I am about most things (especially anything Facebook related), I thought it was a pretty neat idea. The wife/kids loved it as it was both a treasure hunt and an interesting storyline. They also wanted to go home and paint some rocks to get in on the party. It definitely gets people involved in something community related and a bit bigger them themselves. For the kids, it gets them thinking about the world around them and gives them something to focus on other than their next Minecraft or Smelly Belly fix.

I think it was a great concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    We got into this last week (me by accident). Family and I went to Brick for dinner and as we walked out, my 9 year old son said "Hey ..... it's one of those rocks!". I had no idea what he was talking about but my wife turned around and got all excited. Apparently they had seen it on Facebook and were well aware of what they were. I'd never heard of it. So he picked it up from under a bush at the front door and showed me a nicely painted blue rock (can't remember the design on it). We left and headed over to Walmart to get some things for the holiday weekend and stuck it under a bush in the parking lot. It was gone by the time we came back (30 mins).

Apparently Facebook has a page dedicated to these things and someone had commented (with picture) that they found it. And you could actually scroll back to see the history of this particular rock. It had been at the post office earlier that day. You could also see some of the other rocks and some of them are damn near artwork quality (beautiful backgrounds, SoMd themed pictures, etc.). Very well done.

Anyhow, as "meh" as I am about most things (especially anything Facebook related), I thought it was a pretty neat idea. The wife/kids loved it as it was both a treasure hunt and an interesting storyline. They also wanted to go home and paint some rocks to get in on the party. It definitely gets people involved in something community related and a bit bigger them themselves. For the kids, it gets them thinking about the world around them and gives them something to focus on other than their next Minecraft or Smelly Belly fix.

I think it was a great concept.
    Me too...I find them everywhere, in the least likely locations.

So, they are there to be taken? Kept? Moved somewhere else for someone to find? All of the above? Had never heard of this, but then my son and I found 2 in the past 2 days, one at the Piney Point lighthouse and just found another a St. Mary's river. They were pretty, but we had no clue what (if anything) to do with them. I took pictures, and joined the Facebook group, but it wasn't quite clear what you're supposed to, like... do. I didn't know if it was kind of geocaching, with the trackables you're supposed to move.

Apparently I am overthinking this.

Members who have read this thread: 140