Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is SOMD rocks?

What is SOMD rocks?

someone explain this to me

people must be really bored around here
    Just being biblical

Not bored, just some nice folks spreading some kindness and having some fun. Some people get it, others don't.

3. 09-01-2017, 03:02 AM

If I may ...

Quote Originally Posted by zar View Post
    someone explain this to me people must be really bored around here
    I don't know. But is pretty neat to collect them when found.
    If the military wanted you to have a spouse, or family, they would have issued you one.

I know some of the kids involved in that are having a lot of fun with it...and so are their parents.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

I'm with you I don't really see the point. I'm not sure how finding a rock is spreading kindness but whatever to each their own. I guess painting them could be fun for the kids.

On a side if you are not a fan of CONSTANT FB notifications do not...repeat...do not join the somd rocks fb page. Your FB will blow up ALL day! Someone added me to that group and it was too much for me I had to leave. Kinda reminded me a those freecycle pages on FB.
    "You die and go to heaven, I'll stay here in Bermuda".

because it makes people smile when they find one. Because it puts art and good energy out into the world. Because it leads to people interacting, from families painting the rocks to people finding them. They might just look up from their phones. :] Because sometimes we forget that it is necessary to do something for no reason what so ever, just because. Like jumping in puddles or reading a trashy novel. Just because we can.

I belong to an art abandonment group on FB, it's all about leaving artwork to brighten someone's day. They can leave it, take it, or pass it on. I've been doing it for years.

I had heard about them just recently, but until yesterday had never found one. Yesterday I found 2 of em! They do make you smile when you find one!!! Someone at Great Mills will get lucky tonight...gonna give one to the sound designer for the GM band to plant tonight.

its when people take a nice natural looking rock and draw graffiti all over it. rock litter.

Quote Originally Posted by spinner View Post
    because it makes people smile when they find one. Because it puts art and good energy out into the world. Because it leads to people interacting, from families painting the rocks to people finding them. They might just look up from their phones. :] Because sometimes we forget that it is necessary to do something for no reason what so ever, just because. Like jumping in puddles or reading a trashy novel. Just because we can.

I belong to an art abandonment group on FB, it's all about leaving artwork to brighten someone's day. They can leave it, take it, or pass it on. I've been doing it for years.
    Thanks for that explanation, Spinner. While it may seem pointless to some, it gives kids another reason to do art, to create, to look at a rock and think what shape it is and what they can create. Makes them use some imagination. We took some with us on a camping trip and hid around restaurants and the campground. Next day at the pool the kids could overhear a lady talking about their rocks and how she went on FB and found out about it, etc. We aren't the only place doing it. I do wish some parents would not tell everyone where they just hid them, though. I think it should be a surprise find like an easter egg.

I think it is a really great idea. I don't do FB, but curiosity got the best of me, so I looked it up through dot's account. A lot of the paintings are quite well done and imaginative. It is along the same line as looking for fossils, shards of pottery, and shark teeth; which we did a lot of over the years in Calvert. What a great thing for kids. They paint a rock, and put it somewhere for someone else to find it. Treasure hunt!

Maybe, they should put the date on the back; kind of like a time capsule thing,
    Last edited by littlelady; 09-02-2017 at 05:19 AM.
    ​​Like I said. JMO, yo! - Roman
    If you ignore the trolls, they starve. - Wishbone

Members who have read this thread: 140