There Are Way Too Many White Librarians These Days, New Report Finds

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Ithaka S+R, an academic research firm, released the “Inclusion, Diversity, and Equity” report on Wednesday.

As a group, librarians “are over three quarters white and nearly 90 percent white in leadership roles,” the Ithaka S+R report reveals.

The lack of “library employees of color” is a “shortcoming” in the academic library industry, the report also says.

“The library community considers diversity to be a core value. But the academic library sector has struggled with addressing equity, diversity and inclusion.”

Academic libraries have struggled with an excess of white employees for decades, notes Inside Higher Ed.

A co-author of the library diversity report, Roger C. Schonfeld, noted that the small percentage of minority employees who work in academic libraries tend to work in secondary roles such as technical services and acquisitions. These jobs are disappearing at libraries as holdings become more and more digital.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the colour of their skin but by the content of their character."

baxter

who gives a #### what color they are, You people should put your mind to more important things.
My keyboard is black yet my pickup is white, is this the next big news story?

Wishbone

Librarians should always look like they do on Cinemax after Dark...

Attachments

• 5dd4d7ba81b0a9e7b8ac363399a8a599--librarian-style-sexy-librarian.jpg
    5dd4d7ba81b0a9e7b8ac363399a8a599--librarian-style-sexy-librarian.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 295

Hijinx

Food for thought : Has anyone ever taken a poll to see which race actually uses the library?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Ya know, I'm really getting tired of the usage, " ... of color". People of .... employees of .... workers of .... Why not just "black". because everyone knows that it is only about black people. Because black people could care less about any other color. Besides, the "of color" tag, taken in totality, includes all colors, even white. So it pretty stupid to begin with.

stgislander

PREMO Member
If I may ...

Ya know, I'm really getting tired of the usage, " ... of color". People of .... employees of .... workers of .... Why not just "black". because everyone knows that it is only about black people. Because black people could care less about any other color. Besides, the "of color" tag, taken in totality, includes all colors, even white. So it pretty stupid to begin with.

racism.jpeg

Hijinx

LOL That's funny. I know it's not PC of me ,but it's funny.

I was just wondering if anyone had done a study of it. Doesn't really matter of course, and like this article it's just another example of people bitching who are never satisfied anyway.

jrt_ms1995

Ithaka S+R, an academic research firm, released the “Inclusion, Diversity, and Equity” report on Wednesday.

As a group, librarians “are over three quarters white and nearly 90 percent white in leadership roles,” the Ithaka S+R report reveals.

The lack of “library employees of color” is a “shortcoming” in the academic library industry, the report also says.

“The library community considers diversity to be a core value. But the academic library sector has struggled with addressing equity, diversity and inclusion.”

Academic libraries have struggled with an excess of white employees for decades, notes Inside Higher Ed.

Isn't diversity, for the sake of diversity, simply discrimination in different clothing? :confused:

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Gotta get that bachelors degree first, then apply for a relatively low paying, hard to advance job of limited availability. Should be right up the alley and interest of the black communi-tuh!, eh?:doh:

Last edited:

BOP

A co-author of the library diversity report, Roger C. Schonfeld, noted that the small percentage of minority employees who work in academic libraries tend to work in secondary roles such as technical services and acquisitions. These jobs are disappearing at libraries as holdings become more and more digital.

In other news, the NFL is 75% African American.