Do we really care about these things, and why?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There's a movement to rename Father's Day to "Special Person's Day" to be more inclusive.

Hang on...

:lmao:

First of all, I'm against the marginalization of Dads. These stupid movements are always prompted by feminist lesbians who don't want a man in their life, or their child's life, so they think nobody should have a dad. BUT...how much do we really care if these traditions go away? Mother's and Father's Day are manufactured holidays anyway, created by the Hallmark people to sell more cards and flowers - it's not based on any religious beliefs or anything else. It's totally made up, like Kwanzaa.

If they took away Christmas as a federal holiday, why do we care? As a non-Christian, it used to be a freebie for me and now as a business owner I don't even get a day off. All I get out of Christmas is a big credit card bill. Especially now that "Christmas" starts in freaking August, it's just a commercial joke any more.

So on one hand, who cares. Get rid of all holidays and cultural traditions - if people want to celebrate a specific day or occasion, they can do it individually and however they see fit.

On the other hand, cultural traditions are what binds us as a nation. It's something we all (most of us, anyway) have in common. Communist countries don't have national celebrations, unless you count the birth/death/whatever of their dictator (where you get shot or thrown in prison if you don't "celebrate"). Christmas, to me, isn't so much about Christ's birth as it is about tidings of comfort and joy and good will to men. They don't have things like that in China or Russia.

What say you?

This_person

Some people consider MLK day to be Lee-Jackson day. A lot of people celebrate their birthday on 9/11. Every day is many made up "holidays" for one thing or another.

If someone wants to call Mother's Day "Special Person Day", I have no beef. If they want to tell ME that I can't call it mother's day, now we have an issue

Hijinx

Why? I don't believe the majority of people in this country have a hard on for Father's day or Mother's day.
This scheme is another pack of minority (And I don't mean black) I mean a minority of people who have some small grievance so they want to screw it up for everyone else..
If they don't like their Mother's or father's , that's their problem. If some cheap employer is too cheap to give his secretary some flowers on Secretary's day, that's cool. That's his/her problem. Much like the removal of statues. If you don't want to look at them-Don't,but why should the rest of us give a flying #### about your problem.

You don't like Christmas, that's cool, Hanukkah ?cool, Ramadan? cool STFU and leave others to do their thing.
You personally do not have to celebrate sh1t, but don't screw around with others who get some small enjoyment out of it.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
WOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWW back off crazy person !!!!!!!!
So on one hand, who cares. Get rid of all holidays and cultural traditions = I have two more years, i want my paid holidays OFF, after that ya i don't care except for the grandkid type holidays!!

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
History of Mother's Day. Celebrations of mothers and motherhood can be traced back to the ancient Greeks and Romans, who held festivals in honor of the mother goddesses Rhea and Cybele, but the clearest modern precedent for Mother's Day is the early Christian festival known as “Mothering Sunday.”
Mother's Day - Holidays - HISTORY.com
www.history.com/topics/holidays/mothers-day

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/05/140508-mothers-day-nation-gifts-facts-culture-moms/

As Mother's Day turns 100 this year, it's known mostly as a time for brunches, gifts, cards, and general outpourings of love and appreciation.

But the holiday has more somber roots: It was founded for mourning women to remember fallen soldiers and work for peace. And when the holiday went commercial, its greatest champion, Anna Jarvis, gave everything to fight it, dying penniless and broken in a sanitarium.

It all started in the 1850s, when West Virginia women's organizer Ann Reeves Jarvis—Anna's mother—held Mother's Day work clubs to improve sanitary conditions and try to lower infant mortality by fighting disease and curbing milk contamination, according to historian Katharine Antolini of West Virginia Wesleyan College. The groups also tended wounded soldiers from both sides during the U.S. Civil War from 1861 to 1865.

In the postwar years Jarvis and other women organized Mother's Friendship Day picnics and other events as pacifist strategies to unite former foes. Julia Ward Howe, for one—best known as the composer of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic"—issued a widely read "Mother's Day Proclamation" in 1870, calling for women to take an active political role in promoting peace.

http://www.history.com/topics/holidays/fathers-day

However, Mother’s Day did not become a commercial holiday until 1908, when–inspired by Jarvis’s daughter, Anna Jarvis, who wanted to honor her own mother by making Mother’s Day a national holiday–the John Wanamaker department store in Philadelphia sponsored a service dedicated to mothers in its auditorium.

Thanks in large part to this association with retailers, who saw great potential for profit in the holiday, Mother’s Day caught on right away. In 1909, 45 states observed the day, and in 1914, President Woodrow Wilson approved a resolution that made the second Sunday in May a holiday in honor of “that tender, gentle army, the mothers of America.”
Origins of Father’s Day

The campaign to celebrate the nation’s fathers did not meet with the same enthusiasm–perhaps because, as one florist explained, “fathers haven’t the same sentimental appeal that mothers have.”

On July 5, 1908, a West Virginia church sponsored the nation’s first event explicitly in honor of fathers, a Sunday sermon in memory of the 362 men who had died in the previous December’s explosions at the Fairmont Coal Company mines in Monongah, but it was a one-time commemoration and not an annual holiday.

The next year, a Spokane, Washington, woman named Sonora Smart Dodd, one of six children raised by a widower, tried to establish an official equivalent to Mother’s Day for male parents. She went to local churches, the YMCA, shopkeepers and government officials to drum up support for her idea, and she was successful: Washington State celebrated the nation’s first statewide Father’s Day on June 19, 1910.

just do away with all Gov. Holidays ....

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
There's a movement to rename Father's Day to "Special Person's Day" to be more inclusive.

Hang on...

First of all, I'm against the marginalization of Dads. These stupid movements are always prompted by feminist lesbians who don't want a man in their life, or their child's life, so they think nobody should have a dad. BUT...how much do we really care if these traditions go away? Mother's and Father's Day are manufactured holidays anyway, created by the Hallmark people to sell more cards and flowers - it's not based on any religious beliefs or anything else. It's totally made up, like Kwanzaa.

If they took away Christmas as a federal holiday, why do we care? As a non-Christian, it used to be a freebie for me and now as a business owner I don't even get a day off. All I get out of Christmas is a big credit card bill. Especially now that "Christmas" starts in freaking August, it's just a commercial joke any more.

So on one hand, who cares. Get rid of all holidays and cultural traditions - if people want to celebrate a specific day or occasion, they can do it individually and however they see fit.

On the other hand, cultural traditions are what binds us as a nation. It's something we all (most of us, anyway) have in common. Communist countries don't have national celebrations, unless you count the birth/death/whatever of their dictator (where you get shot or thrown in prison if you don't "celebrate"). Christmas, to me, isn't so much about Christ's birth as it is about tidings of comfort and joy and good will to men. They don't have things like that in China or Russia.

What say you?

I don't care if some group want their own holiday. Just leave mine the "F" alone.
If you want special persons day do it in August
If you want indigenous persons day do it in June
If you want Kwanzaa do it January

They always want to get a ride on the crest of an already popular event to push their agendas........"F"em............just sayin'

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

Hang on...

What say you?
If they want to change the name of a holiday, I'd go for Labor Day. I find it personally offensive to ruin a perfectly good holiday by associating it with a bunch of parasites.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Or child birth :lmao:

That is so funny you said that. I, always, think of that, too. :lmao:

Women go through the worst of it to procreate the world. Period. Labor Day should be changed to Mother's Day! :lol:

I do have to agree with vrai to a point. I have never been one to want to recognize specific days of the year; like holidays, Christmas, birthdays, etc. I have, always, thought, we should act like every day is special, and do the surprising/kind things that people don't expect. Surprise!

Last edited:

SamSpade

Are they planning to also get rid of Mother's Day, or is this just a bust on Dads?

Christmas, to me, isn't so much about Christ's birth as it is about tidings of comfort and joy and good will to men. They don't have things like that in China or Russia.

Only because it is also celebrated as a secular holiday. And those things only accompany the holiday BECAUSE of traditions surrounding the celebration of Christ's birth.
Otherwise, we'd have Saturnalia or Winter Solstice, and they wouldn't be anything like that.

But you'd be surprised at the holidays they DO celebrate in Russia and China. In Russia, of course Christmas is two weeks later, and the traditions are very different. And their Santa is actually scary. When we were in Russia, all of the celebrations surrounding *Easter* were bigger than I've seen here, and they're both bigger on days we only give passing consideration to, like New Year's, May Day and Women's Day.

Ethiopia was another matter entirely. The country is Christian - in fact, they are very proud that historically, they were the FIRST Christian nation - but they follow a LOT of religious holidays, notably, saint's days (for Orthodox). It was not uncommon for us to not be able to get something at a restaurant because it was one of the 180 fasting days in their calendar. I do think this was however, a practical matter. There is no point serving something on a day when no one is expected to eat it, just as in this country there is little point in scheduling things on Christmas if most of your staff won't be there.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Are they planning to also get rid of Mother's Day, or is this just a bust on Dads?

Only because it is also celebrated as a secular holiday. And those things only accompany the holiday BECAUSE of traditions surrounding the celebration of Christ's birth.
Otherwise, we'd have Saturnalia or Winter Solstice, and they wouldn't be anything like that.

But you'd be surprised at the holidays they DO celebrate in Russia and China. In Russia, of course Christmas is two weeks later, and the traditions are very different. And their Santa is actually scary. When we were in Russia, all of the celebrations surrounding *Easter* were bigger than I've seen here, and they're both bigger on days we only give passing consideration to, like New Year's, May Day and Women's Day.

Ethiopia was another matter entirely. The country is Christian - in fact, they are very proud that historically, they were the FIRST Christian nation - but they follow a LOT of religious holidays, notably, saint's days (for Orthodox). It was not uncommon for us to not be able to get something at a restaurant because it was one of the 180 fasting days in their calendar. I do think this was however, a practical matter. There is no point serving something on a day when no one is expected to eat it, just as in this country there is little point in scheduling things on Christmas if most of your staff won't be there.

Interesting. Thanks!

And, I think it is because so many children don't have their fathers because they left. I lived that. But, I/we got the long end of that stick. I/we were lucky. I am talking about the father of my children, not my father. My father was the most awesome man to ever live on Earth.

Last edited:

ginwoman

That is so funny you said that. I, always, think of that, too. :lmao:

Women go through the worst of it to procreate the world. Period. Labor Day should be changed to Mother's Day! :lol:

I do have to agree with vrai to a point. I have never been one to want to recognize specific days of the year; like holidays, Christmas, birthdays, etc. I have, always, thought, we should act like every day is special, and do the surprising/kind things that people don't expect. Surprise!

But then Hallmark would go out of business

littlelady

God bless the USA
But then Hallmark would go out of business

True. They have been going out of biz all over the place. The one in Olney closed not to long ago. Fun fact. My mom was a songwriter/poetry person, and used to write sentiments for Hallmark back in the day. Life is change.

Also, I think people are being more creative these days with computers, and all, creating their own thing.