Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Irma...Uncertain course

Quote Originally Posted by stgislander View Post
    Dr. Greg Postel on the Weather Channel says that the Bermuda High will tend to push Irma towards the coast while the projected dip in the jet stream will tend to push Irma out to sea. What they don't currently know is which one will be stronger at the end of this week.
    Maybe the jet stream is what that guy was talking about. I've been a little pre-occupied and haven't looked that closely at what it's doing.

"It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Lurking in the background in flat, humid Fl
    And, as always, the best guess is to just wait and see.
    "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress." John Adams

Best be prepared for this one I think....
    No more splitting Uranium for fun and profit, retirement is cool so far....

Quote Originally Posted by Hessian View Post
    yes, it is perhaps the biggest storm to approach in a few years, and yes...the tracking is pretty broad, but as you all have seen, we even get showers from depressions that wash into Texas.

So, just to save you from the prospect of some property damage if we get brushed by Irma
    *Gutters,..clean them this week.
    *patio furniture...stow.
    *Screened porches...maybe pull screens or secure.
    *Tarp & secure boats
    *Buy a case of water this week
    *Check batteries & Flashlights
    *Chimney caps...secure?
    *Cut down branches hanging over your house.
    *Culverts...are they open/clear?
    *Fill up the tanks in your auto by Next Saturday
    *Give a pull on your generator-make sure its ready (mine is in the shop!!)
    *Buy an extra tarp this week...evn if you may have to loan it to a neighbor.
    *Extra bag of ice for the Freezer...might save hundreds of $$ of food if we are out of power for 24 hours.

No alarm,...just some tips for home owners who do not remember Irene.
    I can get tarps wholesale and have gotten a few extras for leaf clean up. What would be good sizes to have on hand? Not that I want this storm to hit us but this is a very practical suggestion that I could stock up on to give to people that may need them.
    "It's nice to be important but it's also important to be nice."

Quote Originally Posted by frequentflier View Post
    I can get tarps wholesale and have gotten a few extras for leaf clean up. What would be good sizes to have on hand? Not that I want this storm to hit us but this is a very practical suggestion that I could stock up on to give to people that may need them.
    Tarps...yeah, they help in covering the BBQ or the wood pile BUT, in a storm that's dumping 8-12 inches of rain, a roof puncture can cause a LOT of damage--that's where a waterproof tarp is crucial. Keeping a generator high & dry is another crucial use...it will be very important once the rain passes and people are out of power for 48 hours+ (Sump pumps anyone??) Even tarpping a boat is important so the interior isn't flooded & electrical damage/wood warping results. Thanks for considering the needs of your neighbors!
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

They call me ... Sarcasmo kom526's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    As of this a.m. NHC, TWC & Accuweather have IRMA off Cuba and possibly shooting the gap between FL and Cuba sometime Saturday. *BUT* they still say "too early to tell." ?? Weatherguessers are only right 50% of the time anyway so it'll be another eyewitness event.
    Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been.

Somewhere, a teacher is crying with their red marker after reading your dribble.

Visualize whirled peas Merlin99's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kom526 View Post
    As of this a.m. NHC, TWC & Accuweather have IRMA off Cuba and possibly shooting the gap between FL and Cuba sometime Saturday. *BUT* they still say "too early to tell." ?? Weatherguessers are only right 50% of the time anyway so it'll be another eyewitness event.
    According to the weather channel, historically (the last 17) hurricanes that start where this one did take a hard right turn at Bermuda and head northeast. This is where they're worried about the high pressure in the North Atlantic. Having it not allow it to go east at all, just north.
    ‎"I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HurTrack2.gif 
Views:	214 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	119845

It looks more like Miami may take it up the old keester
    Your signature can not be longer than 100 characters - BS

then it will go into the Gulf, make a right and pick up more power - Cat 6 before making landfall on the panhandle and then coming up the east coast
    Your signature can not be longer than 100 characters - BS

Lurking in the background in flat, humid Fl
    Quote Originally Posted by BernieP View Post
    then it will go into the Gulf, make a right and pick up more power - Cat 6 before making landfall on the panhandle and then coming up the east coast
    Cat 6? We don't care about no stinking Cat 6. Wake us up when it reaches Cat 9 or 10.

Latest cone of wobble I just saw looks like a decent possibility of it heading up the Fl Straits, but more than likely eastern Fl/Ga. That could change, and probably will.
    "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress." John Adams

Members who have read this thread: 152