Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Irma...Uncertain course

Exclamation Irma...Uncertain course

yes, it is perhaps the biggest storm to approach in a few years, and yes...the tracking is pretty broad, but as you all have seen, we even get showers from depressions that wash into Texas.

So, just to save you from the prospect of some property damage if we get brushed by Irma
    *Gutters,..clean them this week.
    *patio furniture...stow.
    *Screened porches...maybe pull screens or secure.
    *Tarp & secure boats
    *Buy a case of water this week
    *Check batteries & Flashlights
    *Chimney caps...secure?
    *Cut down branches hanging over your house.
    *Culverts...are they open/clear?
    *Fill up the tanks in your auto by Next Saturday
    *Give a pull on your generator-make sure its ready (mine is in the shop!!)
    *Buy an extra tarp this week...evn if you may have to loan it to a neighbor.
    *Extra bag of ice for the Freezer...might save hundreds of $$ of food if we are out of power for 24 hours.

No alarm,...just some tips for home owners who do not remember Irene.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

<-------- Hates hurricanes.
    "If you think they are going to give you your country back without a fight, you are sadly mistaken"

Quote Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
    <-------- Hates hurricanes.

Ditto.
    "Cynicism is the smoke that rises from the ashes of burned out dreams."

I guess I won't defrost my deep freezer this week.
    "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever." - Shane Falco

You should do that a couple times a year storm or no storm.....

Quote Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
    You should do that a couple times a year storm or no storm.....
    ​​Like I said. JMO, yo! - Roman
    If you ignore the trolls, they starve. - Wishbone

Quote Originally Posted by Hessian View Post
    yes, it is perhaps the biggest storm to approach in a few years, and yes...the tracking is pretty broad, but as you all have seen, we even get showers from depressions that wash into Texas.

So, just to save you from the prospect of some property damage if we get brushed by Irma
    *Gutters,..clean them this week.
    *patio furniture...stow.
    *Screened porches...maybe pull screens or secure.
    *Tarp & secure boats
    *Buy a case of water this week
    *Check batteries & Flashlights
    *Chimney caps...secure?
    *Cut down branches hanging over your house.
    *Culverts...are they open/clear?
    *Fill up the tanks in your auto by Next Saturday
    *Give a pull on your generator-make sure its ready (mine is in the shop!!)
    *Buy an extra tarp this week...evn if you may have to loan it to a neighbor.
    *Extra bag of ice for the Freezer...might save hundreds of $$ of food if we are out of power for 24 hours.

No alarm,...just some tips for home owners who do not remember Irene.
    We remember Irene. A 100 foot hickory out of the woods hit our house. The noise of that is indescribable, not to mention, one of the most scary moments of my life. But, we did find a taker for the wood. Someone that has a smoker. Waste not, want not. Take care, y'all.
    ​​Like I said. JMO, yo! - Roman
    If you ignore the trolls, they starve. - Wishbone

Current GFS prediction through the 8th has Irma moving toward a landfall around outer banks area with sustained winds in excess of 170 mph (Cat 5+)...!!

A lot could change between now and then and I sure as heck hope that it does! But a looming high pressure is appearing...something that could steer the hurricane toward landfall instead of letting it curve back north and out to sea.
    "Cynicism is the smoke that rises from the ashes of burned out dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Current GFS prediction through the 8th has Irma moving toward a landfall around outer banks area with sustained winds in excess of 170 mph (Cat 5+)...!!

A lot could change between now and then and I sure as heck hope that it does! But a looming high pressure is appearing...something that could steer the hurricane toward landfall instead of letting it curve back north and out to sea.
    I just heard someone say (non professional) that the high will tend to push it out to sea. I'm rooting for that one.

And just like "fake news", there are now reports of "fake weather", reports that are meant to do nothing but get people fired up over mis-information.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    I just heard someone say (non professional) that the high will tend to push it out to sea. I'm rooting for that one.

And just like "fake news", there are now reports of "fake weather", reports that are meant to do nothing but get people fired up over mis-information.
    Dr. Greg Postel on the Weather Channel says that the Bermuda High will tend to push Irma towards the coast while the projected dip in the jet stream will tend to push Irma out to sea. What they don't currently know is which one will be stronger at the end of this week.
    "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever." - Shane Falco

Members who have read this thread: 152