Irma...Uncertain course

Hessian

yes, it is perhaps the biggest storm to approach in a few years, and yes...the tracking is pretty broad, but as you all have seen, we even get showers from depressions that wash into Texas.

So, just to save you from the prospect of some property damage if we get brushed by Irma
*Gutters,..clean them this week.
*patio furniture...stow.
*Screened porches...maybe pull screens or secure.
*Tarp & secure boats
*Buy a case of water this week
*Check batteries & Flashlights
*Chimney caps...secure?
*Cut down branches hanging over your house.
*Culverts...are they open/clear?
*Fill up the tanks in your auto by Next Saturday
*Give a pull on your generator-make sure its ready (mine is in the shop!!)
*Buy an extra tarp this week...evn if you may have to loan it to a neighbor.
*Extra bag of ice for the Freezer...might save hundreds of $$ of food if we are out of power for 24 hours.

No alarm,...just some tips for home owners who do not remember Irene.

littlelady

God bless the USA
yes, it is perhaps the biggest storm to approach in a few years, and yes...the tracking is pretty broad, but as you all have seen, we even get showers from depressions that wash into Texas.

So, just to save you from the prospect of some property damage if we get brushed by Irma
*patio furniture...stow.
*Tarp & secure boats
*Chimney caps...secure?
*Extra bag of ice for the Freezer...might save hundreds of $$ of food if we are out of power for 24 hours.

:yay: We remember Irene. A 100 foot hickory out of the woods hit our house. The noise of that is indescribable, not to mention, one of the most scary moments of my life. But, we did find a taker for the wood. Someone that has a smoker. Waste not, want not. Take care, y'all.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Current GFS prediction through the 8th has Irma moving toward a landfall around outer banks area with sustained winds in excess of 170 mph (Cat 5+)...!!

A lot could change between now and then and I sure as heck hope that it does! But a looming high pressure is appearing...something that could steer the hurricane toward landfall instead of letting it curve back north and out to sea.

Current GFS prediction through the 8th has Irma moving toward a landfall around outer banks area with sustained winds in excess of 170 mph (Cat 5+)...!!

A lot could change between now and then and I sure as heck hope that it does! But a looming high pressure is appearing...something that could steer the hurricane toward landfall instead of letting it curve back north and out to sea.

I just heard someone say (non professional) that the high will tend to push it out to sea. I'm rooting for that one.

And just like "fake news", there are now reports of "fake weather", reports that are meant to do nothing but get people fired up over mis-information.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I just heard someone say (non professional) that the high will tend to push it out to sea. I'm rooting for that one.

And just like "fake news", there are now reports of "fake weather", reports that are meant to do nothing but get people fired up over mis-information.

Dr. Greg Postel on the Weather Channel says that the Bermuda High will tend to push Irma towards the coast while the projected dip in the jet stream will tend to push Irma out to sea. What they don't currently know is which one will be stronger at the end of this week.

Dr. Greg Postel on the Weather Channel says that the Bermuda High will tend to push Irma towards the coast while the projected dip in the jet stream will tend to push Irma out to sea. What they don't currently know is which one will be stronger at the end of this week.

Maybe the jet stream is what that guy was talking about. I've been a little pre-occupied and haven't looked that closely at what it's doing.

:yay:

frequentflier

happy to be living

*patio furniture...stow.
*Tarp & secure boats
*Chimney caps...secure?

I can get tarps wholesale and have gotten a few extras for leaf clean up. What would be good sizes to have on hand? Not that I want this storm to hit us but this is a very practical suggestion that I could stock up on to give to people that may need them.

Hessian

I can get tarps wholesale and have gotten a few extras for leaf clean up. What would be good sizes to have on hand? Not that I want this storm to hit us but this is a very practical suggestion that I could stock up on to give to people that may need them.

Tarps...yeah, they help in covering the BBQ or the wood pile BUT, in a storm that's dumping 8-12 inches of rain, a roof puncture can cause a LOT of damage--that's where a waterproof tarp is crucial. Keeping a generator high & dry is another crucial use...it will be very important once the rain passes and people are out of power for 48 hours+ (Sump pumps anyone??) Even tarpping a boat is important so the interior isn't flooded & electrical damage/wood warping results. Thanks for considering the needs of your neighbors!

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
As of this a.m. NHC, TWC & Accuweather have IRMA off Cuba and possibly shooting the gap between FL and Cuba sometime Saturday. *BUT* they still say "too early to tell." ?? Weatherguessers are only right 50% of the time anyway so it'll be another eyewitness event.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
As of this a.m. NHC, TWC & Accuweather have IRMA off Cuba and possibly shooting the gap between FL and Cuba sometime Saturday. *BUT* they still say "too early to tell." ?? Weatherguessers are only right 50% of the time anyway so it'll be another eyewitness event.
According to the weather channel, historically (the last 17) hurricanes that start where this one did take a hard right turn at Bermuda and head northeast. This is where they're worried about the high pressure in the North Atlantic. Having it not allow it to go east at all, just north.

BernieP

Resident PIA
HurTrack2.gif

It looks more like Miami may take it up the old keester

BernieP

Resident PIA
then it will go into the Gulf, make a right and pick up more power - Cat 6 before making landfall on the panhandle and then coming up the east coast

b23hqb

PREMO Member
then it will go into the Gulf, make a right and pick up more power - Cat 6 before making landfall on the panhandle and then coming up the east coast

Cat 6? We don't care about no stinking Cat 6. Wake us up when it reaches Cat 9 or 10.:buddies:

Latest cone of wobble I just saw looks like a decent possibility of it heading up the Fl Straits, but more than likely eastern Fl/Ga. That could change, and probably will.