Canada demands U.S. end ‘right to work’ laws as part of NAFTA talks

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Canada demands U.S. end ‘right to work’ laws as part of NAFTA talks

Canadian negotiators are demanding the United States roll back so-called "right to work" laws – accused of gutting unions in some U.S. states by starving them of money – as part of the renegotiation of the North American free-trade agreement. The request is part of a push by Ottawa to get the U.S. and Mexico to adopt higher labour standards under the deal.

Mexico, meanwhile, is campaigning to include its oil and gas sector in the deal.

These major moves on the labour and energy files came over the weekend at the second round of NAFTA renegotiations in Mexico City.

One group of negotiators spent all day Sunday working on the labour file, according to a schedule of the talks obtained by The Globe and Mail. One source familiar with the discussions said Canada wants the United States to pass a federal law stopping state governments from enacting right-to-work legislation; the source said the United States has not agreed to such a request. Canada believes that lower labour standards in the United States and Mexico, including right to work, give those countries an unfair advantage in attracting jobs.

Hmm Yeah ..... I don't think so

This_person

So, the opening salvo is to restrict freedom in the few states that still have Some?

Not a great opening position.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
So, the opening salvo is to restrict freedom in the few states that still have Some?

Not a great opening position.

Few? Currently 28 "right to work" states ...and growing.

Canada expecting to see a Federal law that further stomps on state's rights...LOL.

SamSpade

I have to admit, I don't get the fundamental objection to right to work laws.

Basically, it allows people to NOT have to join a union, or pay union dues or payments in the event they choose NOT to join.
That's how I see it.

When I mention this to a union person, their most common argument is that it is only fair, since the union is going to bat for the employees whether they belong to it or not.
And my response is - so? Are you fighting for employees - or your members? When Democrats fight for the rights of the people - is it just Democrats, or everyone?
They try to pass off their work as being for everyone's good, but it sounds like they're just trying to squeeze the brass for more stuff.

It's hard to believe in someone's altruistic goals when they compel payment for their efforts.