Science Says Venting Online Just Makes You Angrier

Misfit

Lawful neutral
https://www.sciencealert.com/sorry-but-venting-online-just-makes-you-angrier-scientists-find

Research has shown that venting can actually make us feel worse. And as Brad Bushman, a professor of psychology and communication at the Ohio State University in the US told Elizabeth Bernstein from The Wall Street Journal this week, the ease with which we rant on the Internet is making us angrier than ever.

"Just because something makes you feel better doesn’t mean it’s healthy," said Bushman, explaining that many people still have the misconception that it's always better to get things off your chest than to bottle them up.

In fact, a 2013 study showed that regular users of online rant sites are more prone to anger IRL too, and take part in more negative and rage-driven behaviours such as reckless driving.

SamSpade

I don't find "venting" on social media all that useful.

For one thing, once you post on a public thread, ANY schmuck out there who doesn't know you at all can jump on your case, accuse you of all kinds of BS and contort what you said or meant to say way beyond anything. And it happens.
As smart as people are, it only takes a really few seriously dumb ones to blow it all up. For another - why should I let the WHOLE WORLD hear what I have to say, especially since the WHOLE WORLD seriously doesn't care?
And lastly, while you get to blow off steam - most people don't care, you didn't tell anyone that needed to hear it and those that did either didn't see it or aren't persuaded by three sentences of unbridled anger.

You might as well scream into a paper bag, although that might actually be BETTER since it doesn't piss anyone else off.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It feels good to explode and light someone up who so desperately needs an ass kicking. Unfortunately I've lost a lot of my interest in arguing with the mentally ill and intellectually vacant, so now I pass most of it right by without bothering to comment.

SamSpade

It feels good to explode and light someone up who so desperately needs an ass kicking. Unfortunately I've lost a lot of my interest in arguing with the mentally ill and intellectually vacant, so now I pass most of it right by without bothering to comment.

(shrug) For me, such moments are rare. This totally encapsulates my thoughts on it ....

Someone+is+wrong+on+internet.png

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I couldn't begin to count the number of times I've changed someone's mind as the result of an internet argument.

SamSpade

I couldn't begin to count the number of times I've changed someone's mind as the result of an internet argument.

I probably CAN - and the truth is, that's usually my end. To persuade. And I'm not above being sneaky about it. The best way to change someone's mind is to give them enough room to believe they arrived at that position on their own.
People NEVER reach a point in an argument where the light comes on and they say - Oh my - you are right and I am wrong. I've been wrong all this time. Thank you for showing me my mistake.
They don't do this, but everyone argues as though they think they DO.

What they are MORE likely to do - and I HAVE seen this - is after much rumination on their own, they realize their position doesn't square with logic or their own principles.