We're so far behind them...

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
In Europe, they are dismantling now-obsolete offshore wind farms that are 25 years old...and that one is/was still far larger than anything we've built offshore here.

The company that owns the wind farm being dismantled, DONG Energy, is soon to be a major player in the suddenly exploding US eastern seaboard offshore wind power industry.

http://www.offshorewind.biz/2017/09/06/worlds-first-offshore-wind-farm-disappears-from-horizon-video/?utm_source=emark&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily-update-offshore-wind-2017-09-07&uid=69352

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
In Europe, they are dismantling now-obsolete offshore wind farms that are 25 years old...and that one is/was still far larger than anything we've built offshore here.

The company that owns the wind farm being dismantled, DONG Energy, is soon to be a major player in the suddenly exploding US eastern seaboard offshore wind power industry.

http://www.offshorewind.biz/2017/09/06/worlds-first-offshore-wind-farm-disappears-from-horizon-video/?utm_source=emark&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily-update-offshore-wind-2017-09-07&uid=69352

Must not of been profitable........

I am concerned that the ones we are building here won't be profitable once the subsidies cease.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Must not of been profitable........

I am concerned that the ones we are building here won't be profitable once the subsidies cease.

DONG has massive offshore farms in operation that dwarf that relic they are tearing down in terms of efficiency, reliability, output, profitability etc. European operators - most anyway, with the rest right behind them - have already won the race to become profitable before the subsidies are gone. Against many predictions to the contrary (including my own), they've achieved truly dramatic reductions in the LCOE over the last three years alone...

Recent auctions for large offshore tracts off Germany, Denmark etc have been some of the first where the winner took them on a zero-subsidy basis.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Another example of how far we are behind and why it is a very good thing that the majors from Europe and Scandinavia like DONG Energy or, in this case, Statoil, are the ones buying the bog offshore tract leases here off the east coast.

67 turbines installed and producing..and the installation started in January of this year! Compare that to how long it took US companies to execute the little pissant Block Island project with it's five obsolete-design wind turbines.

http://www.offshorewind.biz/2017/09/07/statoil-dudgeon-comes-in-on-time-and-under-budget-all-turbines-now-producing/?utm_source=emark&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily-update-offshore-wind-2017-09-08&uid=69352

There was a commercial just on promoting the USA Made windmills, how it's a great thing for jobs and America.

My only thought was... yeah, great for manufacturing jobs and shipping overseas, most of it will not be used in or benefit the US.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
There was a commercial just on promoting the USA Made windmills, how it's a great thing for jobs and America.

My only thought was... yeah, great for manufacturing jobs and shipping overseas, most of it will not be used in or benefit the US.

? Won't be shipping anything over there...there is already some shaking out and consolidation occurring in that industry "over there" due to overcapacity or over expansion. Here, on the other hand, we're on the cusp of an offshore wind construction boom...so there will be plenty of need for everything required including the vessels.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'm beginning to think you just like to type DONG....:whistle:

LOL. A few years ago, when we first got involved in offshore wind and with DONG, I assumed they must have been Chinese owned with a name like that. But nope..all Danish..

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Continued good news on the economics of offshore wind...and why it's such a good thing that those companies are the ones that will be driving most of the new development here.

“Today’s results mean that both onshore and offshore wind are cheaper than gas and nuclear. But this young, ambitious industry can go even further. The Government can help us by continuing to hold fiercely competitive auctions for future projects, as it has promised, and by putting offshore wind at the heart of its upcoming Industrial Strategy.”

http://www.offshorewind.biz/2017/09/11/offshore-wind-demonstrates-unprecedented-cost-cuts/?utm_source=emark&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily-update-offshore-wind-2017-09-12&uid=69352