Best advice you have gotten

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Talk is cheap, or so they say. But once in awhile someone delivers a gem.

What's the best advice you have ever gotten in your life?

stgislander

PREMO Member
The one that really sticks out is, "If you get her pregnant, you're marrying her." Times have sure changed huh?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Talk is cheap, or so they say. But once in awhile someone delivers a gem.

What's the best advice you have ever gotten in your life?

I was an Information Systems Major in college.. Dept Head called me in and asked "WHY are you an IS major and not a Comp Sci major??" Before I could answer he asked.. "You're afraid of Calculus aren't you?". "Well YEAH!! I haven't been in school for 20 years, of course I am!"

He told me to change my major TODAY.. go enroll for Calculus next semester, if I fail it, take it again.. fail it a second time, take it again..

I did what he said, I did fail Calculus (never did take Trig or Analyt; Calculus is near impossible without Trig) and I took it again..

I graduated with a Comp Sci degree (along with 5 others) already having a job, and the mass of IS majors graduated with an unsavory outlook for employment as the .com bubble had just burst.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
"Which do you like to say more: 'get bent' or 'good morning, I'd like to make a deposit'?"

"No, bitch, they don't make you cry; you go make *them* cry."

I have been blessed with smart tough friends who were very generous in schooling me.

SamSpade

Just before I got married, my dad took me aside and said

"Just remember, when you think you're doing way more than your share, in reality you might just be pulling about even".

Every time I've checked, he was right.

black dog

Free America
While shuttling a Hinckley Sou'wester sailboat to Annapolis from Martha's the man with the man who taught me how to sail offshore told me while waiting for a bridge to open...
Gross tonnage always wins son....when I stated we had the right of way, he repeated what he said and then added,, and it's my £ucking boat, bear right away son...
It was a few years before it really sunk in....
I miss you Arnie...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
While shuttling a Hinckley Sou'wester sailboat to Annapolis from Martha's the man with the man who taught me how to sail offshore told me while waiting for a bridge to open...
Gross tonnage always wins son....when I stated we had the right of way, he repeated what he said and then added,, and it's my £ucking boat, bear right away son...
It was a few years before it really sunk in....
I miss you Arnie...

Larry Gude's dad says, "There's right, and there's dead right."

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
"Find yrself a large woman, son. They'll provide shade in the summer, warmth in the winter, and everywhere you squeeze 'em will feel like titties"

RIP Pop

black dog

Free America
"Find yrself a large woman, son. They'll provide shade in the summer, warmth in the winter, and everywhere you squeeze 'em will feel like titties"

RIP Pop

I've never heard the tittie part.. :killingme
I heard fat tattooed chic..
Heat in the winter, shade in the summer and moving pictures all year long..

Toxick

Splat
It is really just a meaningless tautology - but with God as my witness, this advice lights a fire under my ass more often than not:

The only way to do it, is to do it.

SamSpade

It is really just a meaningless tautology - but with God as my witness, this advice lights a fire under my ass more often than not:

The only way to do it, is to do it.

A nerd friend of mine once put it this way (sort of).

Lemme 'splain first. In math and engineering, you don't always care about "precise". You care about "close enough".
As in, you don't need pi to infinite places - ten is probably all you'll ever need.

So sometimes in equations, you can neglect part of it if it's really small.
Like x + y is pretty close to just x if it's a LOT bigger than y. For instance, 10,000,000 + 1 is pretty much 10,000,000 for all practical purpose.
We show this by saying:

x >> y -- x is a LOT bigger than y.

My nerd friend said :

1 >> 0.
Basic law of human inertia.
You can get something done, but getting started can be harder than just doing it.
It may be a small thing - 1 is only 1 more than zero - but it might as well be infinity to some lazy ass.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Another one my Pop loved to throw out all the time: "wish in one hand and sh!t in the other and see which one fills up first"

Fairly common..but not when yr only 10 years old hearing it for the first time.