Verizon Smart Rewards

SamSpade

I am pretty sure most people on here have Verizon, since most carriers other than Verizon just don't cover this area all that well.

Maybe you've never used them - but you need to use 'em quick. Verizon Smart Rewards all expire in less than two months.
To be replaced with - NOTHING.
And then they're gone. If like me you have HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of points - you might wonder what the hell you can do with them.

Up until now about the only thing I have ever used them for was free magazines - or very CHEAP magazines or newspapers (like WSJ).
(Cheap as in - cost after points applied).

I can't figure out how to use any of them now. Most stuff is discounts on stuff I'd never buy or purchasing coupons at places like Payless - coupons I can get in the mail for nothing.
I have about half a million in points and I can't begin to figure out how to unload them.

Anyone find anything useful with them?

EDIT: Correction - they will have a new program. But your points won't carry into it. They WILL expire.

Last edited:

lovinmaryland

Ive had a lot of luck w/ the auctions. If you have that many points you should be able to get something pretty decent. I've won $75 gift card to Exxon, $100 gift card to restaurants.com, $10 gift card to Verizon, and a couple other ones that I cant recall right now. I just won one about 2 months ago so most of my points are already depleted.

The trick is to wait until the auctions are just about to end (usually 30 seconds) and then bid. So if the current bid amount is say $100k I'd set the max bid at $150k cause it goes up quite a bit in the last 30 seconds!

lovinmaryland

Just looked guess everyone is trying to unload their points. You may have the most luck with auctions that are early in the morning or late in the evening. I want to say the most I ever spent on an auction was $200k points. Most of the auctions now are $300k or more.

SamSpade

Just looked guess everyone is trying to unload their points. You may have the most luck with auctions that are early in the morning or late in the evening. I want to say the most I ever spent on an auction was $200k points. Most of the auctions now are $300k or more.

Yeah noticed that - 500,000 points or so for a $5 gift card?

lovinmaryland

Yeah noticed that - 500,000 points or so for a $5 gift card?

I've never used that many points for one that small before but again I think with them getting rid of the program people are trying to get anything vs just letting them go to waste.

SamSpade

I've never used that many points for one that small before but again I think with them getting rid of the program people are trying to get anything vs just letting them go to waste.

I'm sure that's it. I might just try your "middle of the night" idea.

I've never bought anything but magazines - their discounts were always paltry on stuff I'd never buy, and their coupons on local places or restaurants - I could beat THOSE prices online with FREE coupons.
Most magazines I bought with points only - nothing out of pocket. Biggest mistake was getting Bloomberg - what a waste of paper.
What really got me was, getting the Wall Street Journal in paper form every day - but I still couldn't get into it online without a "subscription". Duh.