Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Traffic accident 235S @ Poplar Ridge Rd.

So, I was looking at the Baynet, I just found the pictures from SMNEWSNET. Which does indeed show the vehicle that got the worst of it, looks to be a small pickup, maybe a 90s GM small one. Which makes sense given the damage levels. Here's what an S10 looks like in a 40mph offset. If both cars are going 50, of course the damage is going to be much greater.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...ab-pickup/1998
    "I aim to misbehave."

Turns out your guess was wrong. MSP press release is out.

Quote Originally Posted by officeguy View Post
    I sure was. Head-ons happening far less often that ROW crashes, it was the way to bet, but I was wrong. That's some pretty crazy off course if you hit the other driver in their own breakdown lane. They were either completely not in the game ( medical emergency or just watching youtube) or they drifted across a bit, panicked, and got target locked on the other driver and "followed" them. Since the at fault vehicle is new enough to have a full blown "black box", they should get all the data.

https://smnewsnet.com/archives/42373...exington-park/

On scene investigation revealed a white GMC Terrain, operated by Sierra Yobani Hernandez,, 28, of Danville, VA, was traveling southbound on MD Route 235, north of Poplar Ridge Road when for an unknown reason the Terrain traveled head on into on-coming traffic. A second vehicle, a green Ford Ranger operated by Rhiannon Marie Griffin, 27, of California, MD, was traveling northbound on MD Route 235, south of Poplar Ridge Road. Based on statements made by witnesses, Griffin attempted to take evasive action to avoid being struck by the Terrain. Griffin attempted to pull to the shoulder of the road, but the Terrain continued onto the shoulder, striking the Ranger head on.
    "I aim to misbehave."

Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    I sure was. Head-ons happening far less often that ROW crashes, it was the way to bet, but I was wrong. That's some pretty crazy off course if you hit the other driver in their own breakdown lane. They were either completely not in the game ( medical emergency or just watching youtube) or they drifted across a bit, panicked, and got target locked on the other driver and "followed" them. Since the at fault vehicle is new enough to have a full blown "black box", they should get all the data.
    Texting while driving I'm tellin' ya.
    If all you are gonna do is give me grief about what I post DON'T READ IT Heh? Have a nice day :-D

Blog Entries
    My guess was too.. I figured it was somebody turning north out of Poplar Ridge and didn't look to their right... thought they had pulled out to head North and somebody was coming South passing traffic..

According to the latest, I wasn't even close.

Not sure if it's the right person, but Rhiannon Griffin was the deceased, 27 years old.. according to Facebook (again, if its the same person) worked for BAE, recently separated from the Navy.
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

Quote Originally Posted by DEEKAYPEE8569 View Post

Could very well be, not telling unless the police release that information. I suspect maybe the beginning of it, followed a panicked overreaction, that target fixation I spoke of. In driving, you tend to go where you look. And if you are suddenly faced with an imminent impact, it's human nature to fixated on that threat, and so you end up driving right into whatever you should be avoiding.

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    My guess was too.. I figured it was somebody turning north out of Poplar Ridge and didn't look to their right... thought they had pulled out to head North and somebody was coming South passing traffic..

According to the latest, I wasn't even close.

Not sure if it's the right person, but Rhiannon Griffin was the deceased, 27 years old.. according to Facebook (again, if its the same person) worked for BAE, recently separated from the Navy.
    I didn't figure on anyone passing on the left, since there is that most stupid of bypass lanes there, but I thought perhaps someone was waiting to turn left, another vehicle between that and the GMC suddenly swerved right into that bypass lane and left an out of town driver facing a stopped vehicle and no time to make a good choice. Or just someone making the left against oncoming and getting hit.

That spot is my number 2 danger zone in my commute, right after the intersection just north of there, that one puts me in full blow Final Destination mode.
    "I aim to misbehave."

Quote Originally Posted by DEEKAYPEE8569 View Post
    The GMC driver survived. I hope MSP subpoenas his cell and data records.

As for hitting someone in the oncoming breakdown lane or ditch, it happens more often than you would think.
    Last edited by officeguy; 09-11-2017 at 04:19 PM.

The GMC driver survived. I hope MSP subpoenas his cell and data records.

As for hitting someone in the oncoming breakdown lane or ditch, it happens more often than you would think.

I hope they do, and given it's a fatal crash, I'm pretty sure they will. Not sure about the gender though...... Does it happen that often? I dont recall that many cases down here. We did have that one a few weeks back, but that was same direction. I cant recall any other cases where someone crossed not just the centerline but also the whole other lane to hit someone.
    "I aim to misbehave."

Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    I hope they do, and given it's a fatal crash, I'm pretty sure they will. Not sure about the gender though...... Does it happen that often? I dont recall that many cases down here. We did have that one a few weeks back, but that was same direction. I cant recall any other cases where someone crossed not just the centerline but also the whole other lane to hit someone.
    For the gender, I just went off the identical wording in the somd.com, smnewsnet and baynet articles.

I have found a head-on in a field 30ft off the road before. As you said further up, at some point target fixation sets in.

For the gender, I just went off the identical wording in the somd.com, smnewsnet and baynet articles.

I have found a head-on in a field 30ft off the road before. As you said further up, at some point target fixation sets in.
    Did any of them ascribe a gender to that name? I might have missed that, I'll admit.

As for the head on 30 feet in the field, are you talking about that lady who managed to find the freaking hay bale right near Rt 5 and Park Hall? I remember that one. But I cant recall any local cases of someone crossing the centerline and doing a head on in the opposing shoulder. In one sense, you are right, it does happen more often than I think, since it's happened at least once, and thats one more than I would think :)
    "I aim to misbehave."

Members who have read this thread: 106