Building codes?

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I'm thinking of building a small garage in the spring, about 500 square foot. I want to do it myself, including the block, cement and electric. I'm sure it's not as easy as just getting a building permit. Is there a way that a non-contractor, non-electrician can get the required government permissions.

black dog

Free America
I'm thinking of building a small garage in the spring, about 500 square foot. I want to do it myself, including the block, cement and electric. I'm sure it's not as easy as just getting a building permit. Is there a way that a non-contractor, non-electrician can get the required government permissions.

Get a building permit, rough in through the concrete floor for " future " elect,, and after you get a building final, do the building electric.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Another option is to have a licensed electrician install the feed and panel and at least one live circuit, a switched overhead light, for example. Then add what you want to later.

glhs837

Power with Control
Take it from a guy who used to sell sheds (and other building supplies) for a living. Take a hard look at your 500 square feet. One old timer at 84 said he always cautioned folks to try and squeeze for the next larger shed. Not really an upsell, just that he had learned over the years that many of his shed kit customers were repeat customers who wished they had bought a larger one the first time. Note sheds in yards, note how many yards have two sheds...........