Thread: Building codes?

Visualize whirled peas Merlin99's Avatar

Building codes?

I'm thinking of building a small garage in the spring, about 500 square foot. I want to do it myself, including the block, cement and electric. I'm sure it's not as easy as just getting a building permit. Is there a way that a non-contractor, non-electrician can get the required government permissions.
    ‎"I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake"

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin99 View Post
    I'm thinking of building a small garage in the spring, about 500 square foot. I want to do it myself, including the block, cement and electric. I'm sure it's not as easy as just getting a building permit. Is there a way that a non-contractor, non-electrician can get the required government permissions.
    Get a building permit, rough in through the concrete floor for " future " elect,, and after you get a building final, do the building electric.
    Proud to be a cereal comma user.

DIY electrical can be done but you have to take a test to get your electrical permit. Start here reading the codes and guides- http://www.stmarysmd.com/lugm/Permits.asp - and then hire someone to get it done.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin99 View Post
    Another option is to have a licensed electrician install the feed and panel and at least one live circuit, a switched overhead light, for example. Then add what you want to later.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Take it from a guy who used to sell sheds (and other building supplies) for a living. Take a hard look at your 500 square feet. One old timer at 84 said he always cautioned folks to try and squeeze for the next larger shed. Not really an upsell, just that he had learned over the years that many of his shed kit customers were repeat customers who wished they had bought a larger one the first time. Note sheds in yards, note how many yards have two sheds...........
    "I aim to misbehave."

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Another option is to have a licensed electrician install the feed and panel and at least one live circuit, a switched overhead light, for example. Then add what you want to later.

Members who have read this thread: 35