What to use on lawn and when?

calamity jane

I would like to kill weeds and feed the grass, what there is of it. What is the best thing to use? A granular weed & feed or a spray?

Chris0nllyn

First thing is to research whats product works best for what you want to get rid of. Is it crabgrass or a broadleaf weed?

Any sort of "weed and feed" will work, generally. Be sure you apply it based on the instructions and many of the granular types require to be "watered in". Don't forget that part or it won't be as effective.

As for what to use, if you have a small lawn, the hose-end spray types may be easier. For a bigger lawn, the granular type may be easier to apply (assuming the ability to water in).

Also, if you plan on overseeding, don't do it until after the application of weed and feed as it will prevent the grass from growing.

The issues I have with those weed and feeds is the fertilizer. They're typically high in synthetic nitrogen. This is great for starting grass seed and for an instant boost in growth, but it typically gets leached out of the soil quickly. I would apply an organic fertilizer like Milorganite on top of the weed and feed. It's an organic, slow release, fertilizer (only a small amount of N also) and includes 4% iron. The iron gives your grass that beep green, almost bluish hue.

Being organic, it won't burn your lawn and I typically put down Milo every 4 weeks (outside of winter and dormancy)

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The issues I have with those weed and feeds is the fertilizer. They're typically high in synthetic nitrogen. This is great for starting grass seed and for an instant boost in growth, but it typically gets leached out of the soil quickly. I would apply an organic fertilizer like Milorganite on top of the weed and feed. It's an organic, slow release, fertilizer (only a small amount of N also) and includes 4% iron. The iron gives your grass that beep green, almost bluish hue.

Being organic, it won't burn your lawn and I typically put down Milo every 4 weeks (outside of winter and dormancy)

Good advice. I use a fertilizer on ours that is practically nitrogen-free - all P and K - and I mix in some granular chelated iron too.

That helps keep the bay happy too...nitrogen runoff being particularly problematic.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I would like to kill weeds and feed the grass, what there is of it. What is the best thing to use? A granular weed & feed or a spray?

Call Grass Canvas and let them take care of it for you..

They treat my yard 4 or 5 times a year, and each treatment is cheaper than I could do it myself, and a lot more thorough than I could do myself.

I have an awesome looking yard!