Deuteronomy 32 Jeshurun and the Rock

seekeroftruth

Deuteronomy 32:15 Jeshurun[c] grew fat and kicked;
filled with food, they became heavy and sleek.
They abandoned the God who made them
and rejected the Rock their Savior.
16 They made him jealous with their foreign gods
and angered him with their detestable idols.
17 They sacrificed to false gods, which are not God—
gods they had not known,
gods that recently appeared,
gods your ancestors did not fear.
18 You deserted the Rock, who fathered you;
you forgot the God who gave you birth.​

c. Deuteronomy 32:15 Jeshurun means the upright one, that is, Israel.

When I started reading this I thought Jeshurun was a new bible character I hadn't met yet. Well, turns out it's just a "fat cat".

This is from the easy English site.

In this section, Moses accuses the Israelites. They were like fat animals that would not follow their owner. Israelites served false gods and they did not continue to trust God. Some false gods were the new ones that they had met in their new country. They had forgotten the God who had created them. Moses had seen that kind of thing happen before this. Remember the story about the young cow that Aaron had made out of gold. (See Exodus 32.) Moses knew what would happen in the future.

I guess a lazy fat cat is indeed a lot different than a rock... [as in sleeping like a rock].... this comes from the Got Questions site.

A major theme of the Song of Moses is God’s faithfulness. He is called “the Rock” four times in the song (Deuteronomy 32:15, 18, 30–31). Even as God’s people are chasing whims and trusting feeble gods, God remains their steadfast, unchanging Source of Salvation.

:coffee: