Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Used Shipping Containers

Quote Originally Posted by terbear1225 View Post
    what would you do with a shipping container if you bought one? (not trying to pick a fight, just trying to understand)
    This!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "You die and go to heaven, I'll stay here in Bermuda".

Lurking in the background in flat, humid Fl
    Quote Originally Posted by inkah View Post
    Every buy one?

Know anyone who bought one?

Ever done any research?

I've looked at a few companies, but don't really know what to think about it all other than that I like the look...

Feedback appreciated
    Yup. We have two 40 foot containers behind our church we use for storage. very convienent if you store the whatevers in a manner of getting stuff out
    of a narrow walkway to the front. We installed lighting and wall unit A/C's in each one and that does the dehumidification trick quite well, they cost us about two grand each.
    "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress." John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Back when the 7D guy quoted one delivered to Piney Point, it around $2800 for a 40' and nearly the same for a 20' (20 the more popular size for folks wanting storage space apparently) as best I recall. They've been going for similar prices at the Flat Iron auctions....give or take depending on condition. And they are HEAVY...

I want one - a 40' - for two reasons...for storing steel inventory (pipe, tubing, structural shapes) and for storing lots of engines (that are currently lying around in piles, some covered..many not).
    I would suggest that if you buy a 40 footer you get one with doors at both ends.
    Other wise what you want will be at the opposite end of the container everytime.
    I stuck one 20' through the shop wall to store metal in the shop. ( I saw it done at Stoffers ) I can open the connex doors outside to just slide the metal off the delivery truck right into the connex.. it works very well.
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    I didn't use wood on my 20 footers, I put thick plastic down and then gravel. I set the containers up about 6" on solid cinder blocks. I wanted air to circulate under them.
    Plus you need to level them so the doors work easier. I put blocks at eash corner and in the middle. Like you said a 10' span. One in Maryland easily had 20 tons worth of tools and stock metal stored in it.
    From what I read, you really only need to place good solid blocks under the four corners and it is quite happy to rest on those. Of course, they need to be solid and not liable to sink under load. Of course, a crane would be need to lift and set it across the gap. Seems an empty 20 footer weighs under 5,000lbs. Not a high cube, that might go over that a bit.
    "I aim to misbehave."

I would suggest that if you buy a 40 footer you get one with doors at both ends.
    Other wise what you want will be at the opposite end of the container everytime.
    I stuck one 20' through the shop wall to store metal in the shop. ( I saw it done at Stoffers ) I can open the connex doors outside to just slide the metal off the delivery truck right into the connex.. it works very well.
    It's going to be shoved back in my woods...I won't have access to the far end. I plan on putting an i-beam down the center of the ceiling so that I can roll engines in and out using an overhead trolley and a come-a-long winch to lift them. Just need to leave barely a path through the center.

I don't handle anything like the quantity of metal that Gerald and the boys do..but I do get tired of seeing perfectly good stock rust away.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

If I may ...

There is a place on Rt 50 south of Easton on the right of the road going south that has 200 of those containers sitting there along with construction office trailers for sale. http://alliedtrailers.com/
    3420 Chateau Dr, East New Market, MD 21631 Stop by and pick one out for yourself.
    If the military wanted you to have a spouse, or family, they would have issued you one.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    It's going to be shoved back in my woods...I won't have access to the far end. I plan on putting an i-beam down the center of the ceiling so that I can roll engines in and out using an overhead trolley and a come-a-long winch to lift them. Just need to leave barely a path through the center.

I don't handle anything like the quantity of metal that Gerald and the boys do..but I do get tired of seeing perfectly good stock rust away.
    The internal I beam would be great. I hose down my metal orders with PB blaster when coming off the truck. Rust is no good for laying a nice finish.. I only stock maybe 2 months worth of metal, I got caught without AR 400 and 500 during the beginning of the Humvee Armor upgrades, I stock a year or so of that.
    When I move to the new to me building this winter I might start stocking a assortment of steel, like they do for resale.. it's at least 25 miles to any reasonably priced metal where I live.. it might not be worth all the retail license's and bull$hit for the income.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRoasted View Post
    If I may ...

There is a place on Rt 50 south of Easton on the right of the road going south that has 200 of those containers sitting there along with construction office trailers for sale. http://alliedtrailers.com/
    3420 Chateau Dr, East New Market, MD 21631 Stop by and pick one out for yourself.
    Did you know there is a Allied office in Waldorf.
    15101 Crain Hwy, Brandywine, MD 20613

If I may ...

Did you know there is a Allied office in Waldorf.
    15101 Crain Hwy, Brandywine, MD 20613
    Nope I did not know that. But then again, I don't drive through Brandywine all that often.
    If the military wanted you to have a spouse, or family, they would have issued you one.

10. 09-13-2017, 02:41 AM

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    Several years go by and he decides to check to see how his prize possession is doing.. it was a total lost of mold.. fungus.. etc... etc...

My thought, even if it is Sealed (short of being Vacuum Packed) you'd still need a source for dehumidification.

no they have vents at the top front and back ..... 'sealed' is a relative term

now the Refrigerated ones are sealed
    Weíre tempted to suggest a conspiracy here ó but itís just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply canít conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

Members who have read this thread: 103